mathew barzal // new york islanders

requested by Michelle_7

"just do it y/n!"

those were the infamous words. they were aided by a bit of alcohol and a game of truth or dare.

"i'm not dming him. he'll never answer." you groaned.

"yeah that's all the more reason to dm him. he'll never see it so you don't have to be embarrassed." you friend said.

you sighed and picked up your phone with the cheers of your friends as you did so.

they had dared you to dm mat barzal on instagram. you had a crush on him and you were an islanders fan.

you showed the dm to everyone, "look there i did it. now let's move on."

the game went on and soon so did the days. you had practically forgotten about the dm when your phone went off.

"holy shit." he mumbled out.

there in your instagram dms you saw that mathew actually did look at it and in fact responded.

it was something along the fact that you were pretty cute too and he would love to meet up, but you were too awestruck to do anything but just sit there.

you stared at the message before starting to contemplate a response to the one he sent.

you eventually responded and mathew answered back pretty quickly asking if you wanted to meet up for dinner that night.

it took you what felt like another hour to answer this message because of pure shock, but you eventually got there.

there you had it, you, a massive islanders fan, were going to dinner with mathew barzal at 6:30.

it seemed that the only thing that was able to run through your mind was "holy shit"

oh and what you were going to wear.

the hours went past too quickly for your comfort and soon you were ravaging through your closet for something that would hopefully impress mat barzal.

you eventually found something to wear and sent off to the address that mat had sent you.

"hey. y/n?"

you turned around in the entrance of the restaurant.

"hey mathew." you smiled.

to mostly your surprise, the night went really well. you took a lot of pride in the fact that you had managed not to fan girl or completely embarrass yourself any other way.

"i really enjoyed this. you're really sweet and beautiful. do you want to go on another date soon?" mathew asked.

you felt your breath hitch in your throat, but you pulled it together to manage an answer.

you smiled with a nod, "i would really love that."

some weeks went by with more and more dates and soon came mathew asking to be your boyfriend.

you decided to tell your friends by taking them to an isles game with your barzal jersey on. mathew was in on the reveal and he promised to come over and blow you a kiss and throw a puck over.

to which your friends' response were,

"no fucking way."