jack hughes // new jersey devils

it was supposed to be a nice night

jack going first overall was wonderful. you getting to be there with him was even better. him giving you the most loving hug ever before seeing his glowing face going to the stage to claim the red jersey that was his.

you never though this would turn out to be a bad night. you never though going on instagram could ruin the night, but when you saw the photo of jack kissing another girl. it destroyed you. jack was your first love. the only feelings you could process were anger. you were pissed. you were in your hotel room you shared with jack. you hadn't even got off the dress that you had on for the draft and dinner. jack had gone to the lobby to get a snack because he's a hungry boy. you angrily started to pack everything. the door clicked open, jack spotted you.
"baby, what are you doing?" he asked calmly setting down the things in his hands and rushing over to you.
"don't touch me jack." you backed away.
"what's wrong?" he asked worried.
"have fun with your blondie." you said requesting an uber to the airport.
"what?" jack asked. you scoffed and showed him the photo. his eyes widened.
"hope she treats you right." you said picking up your stuff and walking towards the door.
"y/n-" jack began. he grabbed your wrist.
"jack let me go." you said through gritted teeth, trying not to go off on him. "we are done. i don't love you anymore."
you tore your wrist from his grasp as you spoke lies. jack looked absolutely defeated.

just because you had an uber to this airport doesn't mean you had a flight. you had nowhere to go. you called the one person that you knew cared.

"hello." a man's voice came through the phone.

"johnny."

your older cousin, johnny gaudreau.

"y/n?"

"are you in calgary?"

"yeah. what's up?"

"jack cheated and i'm in vancouver with him for the draft."

"oh shit. i'll get you a ticket here." he said with a sigh.

"no johnny. i can get my own ticket."

"no y/n. it's fine. i'll do it right now."

"uhhh. i'm paying you back johnny."

"i'll forward you the info. love you."

"love you too johnny. see you soon. thank you."

•6 years later•

you never forgot about jack. one thing you regret is not letting him explain. you had blocked everything. phone number, instagram, twitter.

all of that was the past though. you ended up living with johnny while going to university of calgary, studying sports management. you had got a job with the calgary flames and hired to gm of the stockton heat. you slowly worked your way up to assistant gm of the flames. the current gm of the calgary flames had got fired right before the start of this year's season. that's when you were named youngest gm in nhl history being only 24.

you were walking through the locker rooms in the scotiabank saddledome to go talk to your players.

"y/n!" you recognized the voice.

you turned around and saw maturer version of the jack hughes you knew. you scanned him. new haircut. his face was defined.

"oh jack." you said surprised.
"how are you?" jack asked.
"good, you?" you responded.
"pretty good." jack said.
"umm i'm sorry, but i have to go talk to my team."
jack nodded and you began to walk away.
"wait y/n." jack said. you turned around making eye contact, signaling him to continue.
"i have an extra day in calgary. let me take you to lunch to explain everything."
you looked around thinking.
"fine, but i have to go." you said pointing to the calgary locker room.
"unblock me so i can send you the details." he smiled. you laughed a little and nodded. you waved and he walked off.

next day•

you walked to the low key restaurant that jack chose. you happened to love that restaurant so it was a win/win. you spotted jack at a table in the corner and walked over.

"she forced herself onto me. i pushed her away immediately." jack finished his explanation. you put your head in your hands. you felt terrible. you were so pissed and in the moment you didn't even let jack try to explain.
"hey. that was 6 years ago."
"yeah. apparently, i was to opinionated to let you speak."
"we both had fault. i should've just told you."
you sat there thinking.
"why don't we just start over?" jack suggested.
"i could do that." you said smiling.

2 1/2 years later•

y/n hughes.

that was your name now. the starting over thing was a good idea.