A Day Off

Harry, Louis and Gemma call Robin dad in this, Just so you know x

"C'mon precious, you'll have fun at school today." Harry shakes his head, flapping his hands right next to his head. "C'mon, LouLou is waiting." Harry groans, moving away from his mother and walking into the gates, his mother follows a few paces behind him, just in case he gets lost.

"Good morning sweetheart! How are you? Are we gunna have a good day, today?" Harry shakes his head, humming and walking  around the room. Anne follows him in, smiling at her son's favourite person in the world, his big brother. "How are you this morning, Mum?" Louis asks, taking Harry's bag and smiling as Anne sighs. "I don't think today will be to good, he's been in a bit of a mood all morning, we almost had a meltdown over breakfast because we didn't have any bread. So Robin had to run down to the supermarket and get some."

Louis nods, calling Harry over. "Can you say bye mum? Bye mum!" Louis demonstrates, then asks Harry is he can do it. "Can I have a hug?" Harry moves forward and ever so gently moves his arms around Anne. "Thank you baby, I'll pick you up this afternoon. And don't forget Gem will be home, won't she?" Harry nods, groaning and moving away as Anne tries to kiss him. "Bye Mum, we'll see you this afternoon. I might be a bit late, we've got a staff meeting I have to attend." Anne nods, waving at her sons once more and leaving. "Alright, can you please put your bag on your hook? And then we'll sit down and get started with the day." Harry does so, gently latching on to the material of Louis' hoodie as they sit down at Harry desk. "Alright, I think Mrs Edwards wants us to make our to-do list for today. Will you help me?" Harry ignores him, more focused on the fact that there is a bright new sensory wall in the room. He groans, standing and walking over to it. "Harry love, we've got to make our to-do list. Let's go, we can have a look at the wall later." Harry shakes his head, mumbling 'no' repeatedly as he starts to touch the picture, cooing and squealing as he feels the different textures.

Louis shakes his head, leaving him to play for a few minutes. "Alright, you've felt every square. Now we're going to sit at our desk and make our to-do list." Harry reluctantly goes, chewing on his fingers as he sits down. But he's soon up again, walking over to his bag and pulling out one of his oral sensory toys, he returns and Louis smiles. "Thank you for sitting back down. But you should have asked for a break to get you sensory toy." Harry shakes his head, signing break and making Louis chuckle. "Not now, when you got up to get you chewable. You should have asked for a break... but it's ok, now let's get back to our task. What's our first activity for today?" Louis points to the picture on the paper, then helps Harry pick it out from the pile of laminated squares and together they stick it on the big page.

"Next one." Harry almost does it by himself, making Louis so proud. When Harry had first started at Treehouse School, he'd struggled to do basic things, and Louis hates when people blame Anne and Robin for that. But when you have a non-verbal, 6ft son who is amazingly strong, you choose to pick your battles. He can now brush his teeth with minimal help, get himself breakfast, and a snack, and he often helps Robin or Anne collect the mail, which may not sound like much but the family are so thankful for the staff and everyone who works at Treehouse School as they've helped him develop his skills an unbelievable amount.

Once they're done with making their to do list, Louis gets Harry to tell him what their first activity is. Rubbish. He signs, making Louis nod. "Alright, we're going to go and take the rubbish from our classroom and put it in the bin." Harry nods standing and waiting by the door. "Hey now, come and help me get the bin bag." Harry groans, like any normal teenager and sulks over, making Louis chuckle a little. "Thank you, now we'll take it the big bin." Together they walk to the dumpster, Harry humming the whole time and sleepily looking at Louis as he dumps the trash into the big container. "Did you not sleep well poppet? Were you grinding your teeth again?" Harry shakes his head, flinching when Louis tries to grab his jaw softly, meaning that yes, he was grinding his teeth.