Chapter 30

"Everleigh," I jump, tears rolling down my face as soon as I wake up from my dreamless sleep. I turn to see the nurse on generals standing at the door who looks at me confused before walking in, shutting it and sitting beside me.
"Hey, you have therapy now. It's ok. I can take you there and you can talk about whatever is bothering you if you want to," she says before patting my arm gently. I flinch away aggressively, tears still rolling down my face. I ignore what she says, staying laid in bed. She attempts to coax me out of my depressive cocoon however I don't move no matter what. She even compromises a day out however I don't accept anything, instead staying put with tears still rushing down my face. With a small and sympathetic sigh, she leaves to get my therapist to come to my room. Summer pads over slowly after the door is closed, ears dropped and eyes saddened at the sight of me. She attempts to lick my face and I stay still, too numb to move. Deciding that isn't enough, she leaps up onto my bed and curls up against my stomach as though she was a small dog. I don't understand how she's not fallen off yet however I let her stay, still frozen in my tearful form. We lay together, our misery reflecting as the therapist walks in and takes a seat by my feet. He sits in silence for a moment, eyes cast on me sympathetically before finally, he speaks.
"Something has clearly happened because you came in here completely ready to take on the hospital environment however now you're suddenly clearly broken and destroyed. Someone has done something, haven't they?" He asks me with an anxious look and I stay silent, unable to speak. My eyes just lock with his though and instantly he knows he's right. He reaches out to touch my hand however I flinch and he retracts his arm, apologising.
I don't say anything.
"Who was it, Ev?" He asks with a frown.
"We will sort this out and they will be taken away. You're not in trouble," he murmurs. I just stay silent.
"Please, Ev. Talk to us," he says however I don't make any attempt to do or say anything.
With a small sigh he stands up and walks to the door.
"I'm sorry," he says quietly.
"When you're ready, I'm here to talk," he says calmly before leaving quickly. As soon as he's out I hear someone else opening the door and turn my head slightly to see better.
It's Alex.
"Hey baby. You better not have told him... you'll get us in trouble," he says quietly, walking up to my bed and gently brushing my cheek with a finger. I flinch away and yelp, Summer growling.
"Shut up, Mutt," he hisses, pushing her off the bed. She whimpers and instantly I leap up, turning to her. She stands and appears fine however I still pat her down fully.
"I came here to tell you I'm sorry... I love you so much and I never meant to hurt you. I thought that was what you wanted-" he's cut off by my hand which collided across his face, making a loud sound. We stay in silence, frozen for a moment until suddenly he leaps on me, his body holding me down. Flashbacks rip through my mind right before my eyes until suddenly he begins beating me savagely, his fist colliding with my face and body over and over again. I try to call out for help however he places his hand over my mouth, preventing me from doing so until suddenly, Summer starts to bark loudly.
"Stupid Mutt!" He yells as the door is thrown open. He leaps off of me as two doctors rush over and pin him against the wall. Summer is still barking and I'm shaking violently as I watch all of this unfold whilst blood drips steadily into my mouth from my upper lip and cheek which are both split. I watch in shock as the furiously shaking boy is dragged out screaming abuse at me, tears dripping from my bruised eyes. A young woman walks up to me and gently helps lift me, moving me into my wheelchair slowly. All the while I watch this drama unfold, tears rolling down my face as I sit in agony.
"It's ok," the woman whispers, taking Summer's leash and clipping her on whilst pushing my chair out. We walk down the halls in silence as tears rush down my face.
Slowly, we travel down towards a familiar corridor. Towards reception. The exit. I sit in awe, wondering if I'm being released.
"Your family is here," the woman says with a small tap on my shoulder. I recoil violently and she apologises.
I stay silent as we walk through the final set of doors into the waiting room.
"Hello, Everleigh's family. Can I please talk to you quickly before you can go out and enjoy your day?" I'm confused. Go out?
Am I getting a home day?
With a small sigh, I wheel myself away as my assault is discussed between Sam and Jack. Of course, Jimmy isn't there. However Maya is and she rushes over to me after being sent away by Jack.
"Hey, Ev!" She smiles happily however I don't react. My eyes stay stonily gazing at the wall. I see her smile waver.
"What's wrong?" She asks quietly, choking on her words. I turn to see tears in her eyes and open my arms slightly. She sits on my lap, hugging me closely. When she gets off, I don't talk however I look into her crying eyes with my damp ones and she understands.
"It's ok... you don't have to talk," she says with a small smile.
"We were going to surprise you and take you out today. We'll make it an escape from what's going on, ok?" She smiles gently.
I just stare at her in silence.
"Please,"
I sigh.
"Thank you," she says just as the others call us over again.
"Ev, we understand," I look up at Sam.
"It's going to be ok," I just blink.
"I mean it. He's being moved away. You're safe now," I begin to cry.
"We don't have to go out if you don't want to. We understand," he pats my hand and I freeze for a moment before falling into his arms and sobbing.
"I'm sorry," I whisper as he shakes his head, tears running down his face.
"Do not be sorry. This is in no way your fault," I cry harder.
"I love you," I murmur and he pats my back.
"We love you too," I nod.
"Let's do today," I say quietly and as I pull away, he smiles.
"Ok. We were going to go to the stables and look at the horses, maybe even ride some? I know you used to ride in Australia," I suddenly smile.
"I love horses!" I say, piecing the words together slowly like a child before the nurse leaves and once Sam gives me some clothes and I'm finished changing (and sneaking cigarettes and blades into my bra) back in my room, we begin to leave.
"Well, it's nearly lunchtime now so let's go ride and then get food!" I gulp, digging my hands deeper into the thick black wool cardigan I have on top of my grey long sleeve which stops at my knees. I shiver, even though it's a supposedly hot day. My leggings I wore only a week before my hospital admission are baggy and I have to secretly tie them with a hair band to stop them from falling down. My black army boots feel heavy for my weak legs as I walk to the car, pushing my chair. When we get there I fold it and dump it in the boot before sitting in the back seat with Summer at my feet. Her bag is with my chair so I can't give her a toy to play with. Instead I pet her ears as the others get in. I remain staring down until I see two people sitting beside me and look up.
"Why are you both in the back?" I ask, confused before looking at the front seat and seeing the familiar face of Jimmy.
"Hey, baby!" He smiles weakly as I begin to cry silently.
"Hey..." I whisper.
"What's wrong? Babe?" He asks sadly and I look down at my bony hands which scratch each other.
"I thought you hated me... you didn't want to see me anymore..." when I look up, he's shaking his head.
The car starts.
"That's not it at all! I just didn't want to see you hurting so much... it hurts me baby," he says sadly and I apologise.
"At least we're all here now," I murmer and he nods, smiling gently.
I don't forgive him.
He left me when I was hurting the most and when I needed him the most. For that, I can't even speak to him happily.
"I'm going to sleep a bit," I murmur quietly, scratching at my hand as I drift off to sleep slowly, my thoughts lingering on the long day I had.