Chapter 13

I know I'm crying.

I know the memories are all too much.

Jessie takes back my phone and places it in her pocket.

I somehow end up in the corner of the room, curled in fetal position.

Summer rushes up to Jessie, pawing at her pouch where my PTSD meds are.

Jessie figures it out and takes them out, allowing Summer to bring them to me.

I take Two.

Breathe.

In.

Out.

In.

Out.

In.

Out.

It's ok.

I'm calmer now.

It's all ok.

It'll all be fine if i breathe.

Just breathe.

I sit up slowly, taking in my surroundings.

I'm still in my room. Jessie and Emma remain on my bed talking.

Summer has moved from under my legs to across my lap.

I stroke her.

"I'm sorry, Em," she turns to me and smiles.

"Don't be. PTSD sucks, eh? My dad had it from when he fought in the army. It's ok hun," she reaches out her arms and i walk over to her slowly, Summer attached to my side. I wrap my arms around Emma who strokes my back.

"Thanks," I hand the bottle of meds back to Jessie who nods, congratulating me.

"You fought that great. Well done!" I smile another fake grin, thanking her.

"I'm just going to sort out my makeup in the bathroom," Jessie nods.

"Is it ok if I come? Sorry, I have to," I nod, understanding. She stands at the door, chatting with Emma about her recent trip to Manchester Pride. As i take off my ruined makeup, I conribute to the chat.

"I went to London. i used to go to Sydney Pride in Australia. I missed Sydney but London is great!" we chat about our favourite stage acts as i redo my makeup. Again. This time I don't do as much, just using concealer and doing my eyes. I put a lipstick the same colour as my normal lips to cover the blueness and then I'm done. I leave the bathroom, throwing my makeup bag back into my drawer before sitting in my chair, feeling dizzy. It's 8.50pm, 5 minutes until we have to head to weigh in. Fun. I prepare Summer, placing her in her harness and tightening it a little before putting her leash on. I presume that there will be more people there and want to keep her close in case someone scares her. She sits at my side, obedient. I feed her a piece of kibble as Mary enters the doorway.

"Ready, girls?" I look at Emma and we nod, setting out into the halls and heading to the small office where vitals are checked. Mary and Emma wait outside. I wheel myself into the office where i am welcomed by a female doctor in her 30's.

"Hello, Everleigh. Welcome to the unit. How are you finding it?" I shrug.

"Fine, i guess," she nods.

"It'll take some time to settle. But that's ok. I'm Doctor Martins and I'll be in charge of your weigh in and vital checking whilst you're here. We'll start off with weight," She asks me to take off my clothes down to my underwear and i comply, covering my arms with my body and failing.