Chapter 78

.

By the time Marie returns, I've stopped crying. Instead I'm just staring blankly at the ceiling. She tries to speak to me but I ignore her. I don't want to explain what happened. I just want to be left alone. I finally speak after a while of silence.

"When can I see Sam." I ask, still not making eye contact.

"Soon, we just need to make sure your pain is under control and you're fully back from the sedation and then we can take you back up to the ward. Do you want to talk about what happened?" I shake my head. Marie understands and stays quiet.

As I lay there, I can feel the fentanyl really kicking in. I feel hazy and confused, my brain doesn't feel like it's working properly, I feel... Well... High I guess? I begin to think of random things like what I'll have for dinner tonight and why the sky is blue until I'm distracted by the sounds of beeping and people moving around. I turn my head to find the source of the beeping and see my vitals screen flashing red. Oxygen saturation: 68%. Well that's weird. I look back in front of me and see nurses mouths moving as some hands come closer to my face and put an oxygen mask on. Only then do I take a deep breath and blink hard. Their voices hit me all at once.

"Are you okay?"

"Just breathe, in and out."

I try to regulate my breathing before speaking.

"I forgot to breathe?" I question myself out loud. These pain meds must be kicking in.

"You did, that can be a side effect of the amount of medication you're on post-op. We're going to keep this mask on you for a little while longer. Does that sound okay? Just try to focus on keeping your breathing steady," I nod, slightly shaken from all of the commotion.

"We'll be back to check on you soon, alright?"

*An hour later*

I sigh. The boredom is driving me insane. I just want to go home now. I look over at Marie.

"When can I go back to Sam?" I ask, my voice muffled slightly from the oxygen mask.

"It shouldn't be long now, I know it gets boring down here." I nod. I'm tired.

"Hey, here comes the doctor now," I look up and see the nice doctor walking towards me with a porter by his side.

"Hello Everleigh, how are you feeling?" He asks, standing at the foot of my bed.

"I'm okay, I just want to go home," I say, defeated.

"Well we can't let you go home just yet, the plan is to keep you in for observation over night however if all is well you can return home tomorrow. We are ready to take you back to your original room where Sam is waiting for you, how does that sound?" I nod, my eyes widening. Finally!

"Yeah, that would be good," I say.

"Perfect, I think we can remove that oxygen mask now and head upstairs," I let the doctor remove the mask and smile at Marie as they begin moving my IV bags over onto the pole on the bed.

"Goodbye Everleigh, good luck!" She says as they turn the brakes off and begin wheeling me off.

"Bye Marie, thank you!" I call back as we head out of recovery. I'm silent for the rest of the journey but as soon as I see Sam outside the room upstairs, I call out to him.

"Sam!" He turns around and his anxious facial expressions turn to relief.

"Hey Ev, how are you doing?" I smile up at him as I'm wheeled into the room.

"I'm okay, I can go home tomorrow if everything is okay." He nods with a smile.

"Everleigh, we're going to take your leg down from this holder that keeps it raised and prop it up on some pillows, is that okay?" I nod at the nurse and she carefully lowers my leg onto some pillows. The relief is immense. Once they've hooked me back up to the monitors, they leave and I'm alone with Sam.