Chapter 104

When we get back up to Maya's room, Sam instantly asks Jack to come outside and talk with him. Jack instantly follows him out, worry on his face. Once he's gone, Sam's mum looks over at me.

"Is he okay?" She asks with fear in her eyes.

"He'll be okay," I reassure her and she nods. I go and sit beside Maya, resting my hand over hers. As my hand makes contact with hers, I feel her fingers twitch slightly. I brush it off. That's probably just a muscle response. I sit and watch Maya, barely listening to Jimmy and Sam's mum chatting in the background. I just focus on Maya's face willing her to wake up soon. Her Dads need her. They need her to be okay. They need the happy and bubbly Maya back again. After a while, Sam and Jack walk back in. Both of them have clearly been crying and Sam is holding Jack's hand tightly. I stand up and let them take their seats beside Maya back. As I move away, Sam mouths 'thank you' to me and I give him a small smile. Jimmy lets me sit in his seat which I gratefully accept, resting my hand on my heavy stomach as I sit back down.

"Maya?" I hear Sam exclaim. I whip my head up and look over to where Maya's eyes are flickering open. The beeps of the monitor speed up slightly and Maya's eyes open. "Maya!" Sam exclaims louder, a loud sob erupting from him as he begins to smile and cry simultaneously.

"Oh Maya! She's awake!" Jack looks over to me with a grin.

"I'm going to get the nurse!" Sam's mum calls out, rushing out of the room. Maya lays there silent for a moment, looking around the room with wide eyes and blinking rapidly.

"It's okay, Maya. You're okay. You got in an accident but you're in hospital and you're alright now, just breathe," Jack speaks to her calmly and her panicked expression begins to ease. The rapid beeping slows down and Maya opens her mouth as if she's speaking however no noise comes out. She tries again and manages to stutter out a few words.

"W...what... happened..." She asks, her voice weak and tired.

"Don't worry about that yet, okay? The doctor is going to come in and we'll fill you in soon. Okay? We're here," Sam reassures her with tears running down his face. Maya nods as a tear begins to trickle down her own cheek. Seconds later, Sam's mum returns with a doctor and a nurse beside her who usher me, Jimmy and Sam's mum out of the room before closing the door. I sigh in relief as the door closes and lean against the wall.

"She seems okay, just scared," I tell Sam's mum and she nods.

"That's good... that's okay," She nods slowly. Jimmy stands beside me and takes my hand in his.

"I'm just so glad she's awake," I blurt out, my eyes watering. Jimmy nods.

"Me too. We all are, Ev," he kisses my forehead.

"I was so scared. Especially last night. I thought... I thought she was going to..." I can't finish the sentence without crying so instead I rest my head on Jimmy's chest and allow him to hold me close. He gently rubs my back as I cry into his t-shirt.

"It's going to be okay, she's alright," he reassures me and I nod. I finally pull away and look up at them both.

"Sam really wasn't okay." I tell them. His mum looks over at me with concern. "I told him to speak to Jack about how he's been managing because it wasn't good." I tell her and she nods.

"Thank you, Everleigh. He needed that. He needed someone to get him to talk," she walks up to me and kisses the top of my head. I hug her tightly for a while until finally, the door opens and the doctor and nurse leave.

"You can go in now," the doctor tells us as she walks away. We all make our way back into the room where Maya is sat in bed with a tear stained face. It's clear that she's been crying but she still manages to give us all a smile as we head back into the room.