Chapter 70

.

"So..." Sam says. I finish the last of my drink and get up, putting the plate and cup into the sink with my cutlery.

"How much did you drink?" He asks me. I sigh and roll my eyes, not replying.

"Ev, come on. You're not in trouble I just want to know," I don't want him to know.

"You're not my Dad, okay?! You're not my parent and you're not my keeper, I can manage my own shit!" My voice is raised and I'm shaking as my anger builds up inside me.

"No, I'm not your Dad. But you live under my roof and I've been here for you for years, I've taken care of you and helped you and I just want to help now! You live in my house and I don't want you getting shitfaced drunk every day when we have Maya, a child, here! You can't keep doing this self destructive shit all the time! You need to stop!" Fuck that, he went there.

"Alright, then I will get out! I won't live under your fucking roof and I will do whatever the fuck I want! I'll drink what I want when I want and I'll manage shit on my own! I am fine! I'm fucking fine! I'm not cutting, I'm eating, I'm fucking fine to have a drink every now and then! Stop trying to act like the saviour!" I yell back at him, storming off to my room and slamming the door behind me. I lock it and lean against it.

"You know what you're doing, Everleigh! You know it's not just 'a drink' and you know where this leads. You can't go out on the streets alone, you can't live alone!" He calls through the door. I scoff.

"Fuck off, Sam. Just fuck off," I call back. I hear him sigh and walk off. As he does that, I grab my backpack. I grab Summer's bag and her leash too. I throw on my black leather jacket and doc martens before opening the door again. I call Summer and rush over to the front door however as I try to pull it open, I notice Sam has already locked it.

"You can't walk out, Ev. You're upset, you aren't thinking straight and-" I cut him off instantly.

"I'M FUCKING FINE! IT'S A WALK TO CLEAR MY HEAD! I'M NOT A CHILD ANYMORE, I CAN GO OUT!" I am shouting and I'm raging, I don't want to be like this but I can't stop myself. I'm pulling at the door but it won't open. Sam tries to put his hand on me but I pull myself away.

"Don't touch me." I mutter. I storm into my room with Summer at my heel before slamming it and locking it again.

"DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT WAITING AT THE DOOR, GIVE ME SOME SPACE, I AM ALLOWED PRIVACY YOU KNOW?" After saying that, Sam's footsteps retreat. I sit on my bed for a second, panting. I don't know what to do. I don't know what to fucking do. I look around the room desperately until my eyes settle on the window. I'm small enough to fit out easily. I open it and quickly squeeze myself out. My backpack comes with me. I leave Summer's bag inside, there's no way I'll be carrying her out the window.

"I'm sorry girl, I'll be back. I just need a break," I whisper to her, patting her head gently before pushing the window to. Without another glance, I begin to run down the street. I can't get caught, I just need to get away for a bit. I only stop running when I reach the shop. My heart is racing and I'm dizzy, I feel sick. My wallet is in my bag, I could so easily just buy a huge bottle of whiskey and forget everything. It'd be so good...

But for some reason I don't want to. My head still pounds from last night and though being drunk would be so good, so free, I don't want to do this anymore. I don't want to drink. Instead, I just carry on walking. I walk until I reach the entrance to the woods and turn in. As I carry on down through the trees, I feel my legs getting unsteady. Fuck, I'm gonna pass out. Once I've found a quiet place behind a large log, I lay down. My bag lays next to me, leaning on my stomach slightly. I decide to put it down across my legs to act as a bit of light pressure, hopefully it'll soothe me until I wake up. I hate having POTS episodes without Summer here. I wish I'd had been able to bring her with me. Thoughts race through my head until at some point, I black out.