Chapter 95

Seven weeks later

"Ev, breakfast!" I hear Jimmy call upstairs. I tell him I'm coming and slowly swing my legs out of bed, holding my back as I stand up. I'm 22 weeks pregnant now and I already feel huge. Apparently my bump is bigger than average and my BMI is secure in the healthy range where I've managed to gain weight well. When people ask how far along I am and I tell them I'm only 22 weeks pregnant, they look shocked. My pregnancy has been marked as still slightly high but not dangerously high risk. Baby is the size of a papaya though she feels much heavier. My back has began hurting and my joints ache. Today is scan and midwife appointment day and we're going over my birth plan again to see where we stand. I slowly head downstairs with Summer at my heel, looking up at me constantly to check I'm doing okay. When I make it into the kitchen, I slowly lower myself into a chair.

"How did you sleep?" Jimmy asks and I give him a 'you really just asked that?' kind of look.

"Like shit. I can't get comfy and she spent all of last night moving around," I tell him with a sigh, taking a bite of jam covered toast.

"Yeah maybe I shouldn't have asked that... but hey, anatomy scan today! Let's see if she's definitely a girl and that she's got all the fingies and toesies she should have!" I look at Jimmy in mock disgust.

"Did you really just say fingies and toesies?" He laughs.

"It's the Dad brain kicking in!"

"Yeah, well at least it's your brain kicking in and not a foot against your bladder," I groan, rubbing my stomach.

"Hey, at least you have the pregnancy glow!" He remarks. I nod.

"True. Apparently my skin is pretty good and my hair looks silky according to Tix and Lola at work. Speaking of work, it's going pretty well. I've been piercing fake skin and silicone body parts for a couple of weeks now and according to Maxwell, I'm doing really well. I've done some time working on the till and I've set up for piercings without guidance a few times now and I'm now allocated to clean up and sterilise the room after piercings have been done. I've also gotten the hang of using the steriliser now too. I'm allowed to do anything in the shop other than pierce people though according to Maxwell, I'm on track to be able to do my first guided piercing on an actual human soon instead of a lump of silicone so maybe that'll change soon. He said that last week so I'm desperately waiting for the day he lets me have a go. I've got work after lunch once the appointment and scan are over. I finish the last bite of toast and carefully get up to dump my plate in the sink.

"I'm going to get ready, I'll be down in a bit," I tell him and he nods, still eating his breakfast. Just as I manage to get upstairs, Summer alerts me. I groan in annoyance and go to lay down on the bed. Summer gets herself into DPT position which lucky, she's adapted to well around my bump. She makes sure to lay across my legs now and avoid my stomach except for resting her head on it.

Once I come around from my fainting episode and am able to get up, I pick out some clothes. A pair of black maternity jeans and an oversized Black Sabbath t-shirt. When I head downstairs, Jimmy is putting his shoes on. I slip on my black doc martens and awkwardly do up my laces before heading out to the car.

"I passed out before I got dressed," I tell him, putting my seatbelt on.

"Oh god, that's definitely gotten worse," he srarts the car and pulls out. I nod.

"Yeah. It's to be expected though. At least we're past the halfway mark. I can't handle much more of this, it's getting difficult. The bump gets in the way of a lot already and my back and joint pain make me walk like an old person when it's bad. And I need to pee all the time, especially when she's on my bladder," I grumble. He laughs.