Chapter 62

.

When I wake up, it takes a  few minutes for me to remember where I am and settle my brain. Summer is licking my hands to help me focus and everyone is sat on the grass with me.

"Everything all okay?" Jack asks me and I nod.

"All good," I reply, sitting myself up carefully. Summer moves to beside my and I unclip her leash, taking the doggy bags out of one of her vest pockets and instructing her to go toilet. She walks off to the side and I allow her to sniff around before doing her business. I begin to get up to clean up after her however Jimmy interrupts.

"Hey, let me do it for you. Take a few minutes, it's okay," he takes the bags from me and I thank him, relaxing back into the grass again. The sky is pretty clear today, not too many clouds and a beautiful blue sky. The sun feels warm on my face and I feel calm. It's almost like I can escape hospital for a bit laying here.

"So, you've got the mental health team giving you a discharge date today, haven't you?" I nod as Jack speaks.

"You excited?" Sam asks. I nod more enthusiastically. I'm so excited to leave, I can't wait to finally get home and be able to start getting back to normal again. I've already got a few plans on what I want to do.

"What are you gonna do after you get home?" Maya asks. I don't have to think to answer that question I turn to look at her as I speak.

"I want to chill and watch a movie first with you guys and then have a shower. Then I'll probably unpack and get a good night's sleep. I also want to go get another tattoo done at some point and get my hair cut because it's overgrown a bit. After that, just chill I guess," I think of all the things I can do and the places I can visit when I'm home. I'm looking forward to finally getting out.

"That's great, I'll speak to work about the tattoo and we should be able to get you booked in once we have a discharge date. It'll be fun," Jimmy says and I thank him. When I'm ready, I sit myself up again and lean forwards, taking my bag off of the back of the wheelchair. I pull out my cigarettes and a lighter, putting one in my mouth before lighting it with my stronger hand. It takes a minute but I manage to do it in the end. I drop the lighter and box back into my bag and exhale in relief.

"How long until we gotta go back?" I ask Jimmy. He tells me we can stay out for another 15 minutes. I nod happily, sitting in silence and finishing my cigarette as the others all talk together. Summer is walking around us, sniffing and playing but coming back to check on me often too. When she's done playing and I'm done smoking, she lays on my lap and I play with her fur between my fingertips. I can't feel it and I struggle to move my fingers but I know she likes it so I try my best.

"You ready to move? We'll go for a stroll around the field if you want?" Jack asks as the boys and Maya get up and prepare to move. I say that I'm ready, standing up and settling back into my wheelchair. The bag goes onto the handles and I let Jimmy push me. Summer isn't on her leash so she just follows beside me. We go around the field once slowly, talking about random stuff. I'm not really paying much attention, just enough that I can bluntly respond to questions. I don't want to seem like I'm ignoring them but I'm drained and dissociated after that fainting episode so I'm just trying to rest and focus on keeping myself conscious. I don't know I'm going to get through this meeting with the mental health team but I guess I'll manage.

"Can we go to the shop in the lobby before we go back upstairs, please?" I ask Jimmy. He nods.

"Yeah, that's fine. We'll just finish this loop and head in, that okay? Have you got your card?" He asks. My brain takes a second to process the words before I can reply.

"Uh... Yeah that's fine. And yeah, it's in my bag," I say and my boyfriend nods before telling the others what the plan is. They agree too. We finish our loop, me in silence, before heading inside. The hospital lobby is busy, people rushing around everywhere going to whatever departments they need. We head straight to the shop.