Chapter 86

"And what's the reason for the appointment?" The receptionist asks.

"I.. uh... I think I might be pregnant?" It comes out as a question though it really isn't.

"Alright, well you're lucky! We've got one more appointment available today as we've had a cancellation. Are you able to get down here in the next 15 minutes?" He asks me.

"Yeah, that's fine," I say before hanging up. Well, no time to waste. I grab my phone and bag, throwing the rest of the pregnancy tests inside of it, and call Summer back over, putting her vest and lead on. The walk down to the doctor's office takes 10 minutes. I'm walking so fast that Summer has to block me to get me to slow down so that my heart rate doesn't go absolutely crazy. I walk into the doctors and anxiously take a seat after letting the receptionist know I'm here. The doctor calls me in within a minute of me sitting there.

"So, I see that you think you may be pregnant? Could you fill me in?" She asks calmly. I take a deep breath before speaking.

"I had some symptoms... You know, morning sickness, tiredness, sore breasts, my POTS was worse too... But I'm on the pill and I still haven't gotten my period back so I just thought nothing of it. But it was there for almost a week so I got a test to rule it out before making an appointment. It had a faint positive so... I took another one. In the morning. To check. And then that was positive. So I did four more..." I say, pulling the tests out of my bag and placing them on the table. The doctor nods.

"Well false positives are very rare, let alone six of them. Of course we'll do a blood test just to confirm but it will most likely be a positive too. I can get the things we need to do a blood test now if you'd like?" She asks, giving me a gentle smile. I nod.

"Yes please," I say. She leaves the room and returns a minute later with a tray of items. I hold out my arm and after tying the tourniquet, I get the usual 'sharp scratch' warning before she takes a tube of my blood.

"When will I get the results?" I ask, holding the cotton ball down to stop my bleeding.

"Well we'll run it through now, it only takes about 10 minutes. You can wait here if you'd like?" I nod anxiously.

"Alright, head out into the waiting room and I'll call you in once that's done." I thank her and both me and Summer make our way back into the waiting room. I spend the next ten minutes anxiously stroking her ears until finally, I'm called in.

"So the test came back positive, you are pregnant. Take a moment to process that if you need. There's plenty of options for whatever you choose, okay? So don't feel pressured into doing any one thing. I'm going to give you these leaflets with your options and whatever you decide, give us a call and we can give you some guidance. We'll check in on you in a week," I nod, trying to take everything in as I'm handed a small pile of pamphlets. I stare down at them in shock. There's a blue on top which says "pregnancy". The next is red and says "adoption". The third is a purple one with the title "pregnancy termination" and the final one says "mental health support during pregnancy". I take a moment to compose myself before thanking the doctor and making my way out. I stand still once I'm outside, unsure what to do as I stare down at the fliers in my hand. I know I need to tell someone. I pull my phone out and press on the contact name.

"Hello? Are you alright, Ev?" Sam's voice sounds concerned.

"What time are you home?" I ask, tears filling my eyes.

"My last lesson is just about to start, that'll be an hour. I was going to stay and do some lesson plans but I can do them at home perfectly fine, why, what's wrong? Are you safe?" I hear him beginning to worry and tears run down my face.