Chapter 59

Once my scans and tests are finally over, I'm taken back to my room where a doctor waits for me along with Jimmy. There's a tray of medical tools and items on the bed which I look at warily.

"Hello there, Everleigh! I'm Doctor B and I'm here to check your arms. What I'm going to do is I'm going to remove the splint, cast and bandages on both arms and see what the damage is. If it's ripped stitches, I have some anaesthetic to inject your arms with to numb them and I'll be re-stitching everything," I just nod once and allow him to take my right arm. He lays it on a table which is covered in sterile paper and begins to carefully remove my splint. Once that's off, he cuts through the bandages to reveal my arm. I look closer and am shocked at what I see. The long incision mark runs all the way up and across my arm, snaking up the side of my elbow. I can clearly see a few of the stitches have busted and parts of the wound have pulled open again. It's not a pretty sight and so I look away, staring at Jimmy as the doctor cleans up the dry and wet blood across my wound. Once that's done, he speaks.

"I'm just going to inject you with this anaesthetic and give it a little bit of time to start working whilst I prepare the stitching needle, is that alright?" He asks quietly and I nod. Marie stands at the door with another two nurses beside her, probably to make sure I don't kick off. I wince as the needle pricks my skin but stay silent, staring up at Jimmy who is watching what the doctor does to my arm. I stay silent the whole time Dr B is preparing the stitches. I hate having these done, it feels so weird and I just hate it.

"Okay, everything is ready and your arm should be numb enough to begin now. Is that okay with you?" I just nod again, preparing myself for the strangle feeling of the needle under my skin to hit me. When it does, I keep my eyes on Jimmy.

"When's Sam coming up?" I ask anxiously. He looks back at me before speaking.

"He's just in the waiting room now. He didn't want to overwhelm you whilst they do this so he's waiting there with Summer. They'll come in after everything is done," he reassures me and I just stare up at his face, admiring every feature one by one. It distracts me from the thought of the stitches and keeps me calm until it's finally over.

"Alright! That's all done. I'm going to bandage you up again now. I don't think you need the splint, as long as you keep your arm fairly still and you only make slow movements, okay?" I thank him and agree. He then moves the table to the other side, swapping seats with Jimmy and putting down fresh equipment.

"I'm going to cut the cast off now," he informs me, taking my left arm and turning on the cutting tool. It makes a high pitched whirring noise as it slices through the thick plaster cast. I watch in interest as he turns it the other way and slices through the other side before pulling it apart causing it to snap off in two pieces. He then removes the thin layer of gauze to reveal my battered arm. I look down in awe, shocked at the damage I've done. My stomach drops and anxiety hits. I really did fuck up this time...

My whole arm is covered in bruises and the cuts look scary. Multiple stitches are torn and it still bleeds as the doctor tries to clean it up. I think this is the most damage I've ever caused to myself and it hits me hard how serious this is. Jimmy can't even look, he is staring away at the wall with his hand over his mouth. His eyes are wide with shock. I hear the doctor say something but I can't hear him probably. I'm shocked. I'm so shocked that I don't really feel the anaesthetic injecting me. I barely feel anything the doctor does. It's like I'm in a bubble. Even when I come back into reality, the feeling in my arm is limited.

"Right, I'm going to put a new cast on you now, alright? Do you want any colour on top? It might help you feel a little better?" The doctor can tell I'm struggling and so he tries to help.

"Can I have black, please?" I ask quietly. I can't make eye contact.

"Of course, I'll just send someone to get what we need and I'll do the first layer of bandages whilst they get everything," He then asks Marie to go fetch the items he needs. I just lay still, allowing him to lift and wrap my arm in silence.