Chapter 35

BIG TW FOR THIS CHAPTER!!!!

After a while, the road leads to a street lined with shops. As I stumble along, I see a 24 hour pharmacy and without a second thought, I push through the door and walk inside with Summer one step behind me. I pull my purse out of my bag and take out a £10 note. I browse the shelves until my blurry vision settles on the rolls of bandages. I pick up 5 rolls before moving down and seeing the packs of razors which I also pick up along with a pencil sharpener and a box of double sided blades. I drop everything onto the counter.

"Are you alright there, lovey?" The middle aged woman looks at me with worry in her eyes.

"Fine. Just that please," I speak quietly. She looks at me concerned but doesn't say anything else. She packs my things into a carrier bag before giving me that and the change from my note. I thank her before stumbling out of the store and walking along down the street again. Summer sniffs the carrier bag as we walk.

"Stop judging me..." I mutter. After a little while, I see a small cluster of trees beside the road. I stumble between them and sit down at the base of one, making Summer sit a few meters away from me.

"Stay..." I slur before pulling out the assortment of sharps. I rip apart a razor with my teeth, accidentally slicing my lip. A sharp sting sobers me up for a second but it doesn't last. As the tears roll down my face, I place my arm across my knees. I mentally zone out as I make the first mark. I need to feel. I need to be alive. I just need to feel.

So I make myself feel...

Summer tries to rush over to me but I yell at her to stay back. She whimpers and barks however I shout out in anger.

"GO AWAY, SUMMER!" So she does. With the tail between her legs, she runs out of the trees. I begin sobbing as I tear myself to shreds. My arms, my neck, my face. Everywhere I can reach I attack myself. The sounds of the road fade and all that's left is a roaring inside my ears. I'm crying my eyes out but I can't stop. My body stings and burns. I can't stop. I don't know how long I'm going for but over time the pain fades until suddenly, I hear Summer barking and a man shouting.

"HEY! NO, NO, NO! Hey come on give that to me, give it here," the voice of a young man brings me out of my trance. I look up through wet and teary eyes at the man as he kneels down besides me and gently prying the metal tools out of my hands.

"No get off no no no I need this please I need it no just leave me," I'm sobbing and begging him but within a minute, he's taken them away.

"Hello? Yeah, I need an ambulance... yeah..." I've given up fighting. Instead, I lay there sobbing as the man describes where we are to the person on the phone. I look to my side and see the half empty box of blades. Quickly and silently, I grab them and shove them into my bra just just before the man turns back to me. He places his phone beside us on the floor. Summer is still barking beside me, desperately trying to climb onto my lap. I let her and she licks my face. Her tongue burns my open wounds but I feel too exhausted to fight. My whole body is tingling and burning and I lay still, my eyes fighting to close as the man begins to wrap my arms in bandages. As I cough, I feel a pulsing of blood leaving my neck.

"Shit... hey, hey, talk to me honey what's your name? Stay awake, you need to keep awake it's gonna be okay," I look up at him as he rips off his jacket and presses it against my neck. He gently lays me down flat on the floor before pressing down hard on my neck with the jacket.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..." He shakes his head quickly.

"No, no don't be sorry it's okay, it's going to be okay. Help is coming, alright? Help is coming, they'll be here soon. They're so close, you just need to hang on. What your name? I'm Mike," he speaks quickly, panic in his voice. Summer is still laying across my lap, whimpering.