Chapter 39

When I open my eyes again, Summer lifts her head. I feel her tail gently thump my leg as she shakes it slowly. Once I'm sure I'm ready, I slowly sit myself up, gesturing towards the door. My dog hops out of the car and I scoot over to the edge of the seat where I rest my elbows on my knees and put my head in my hands. The officers are talking to eachother a few paces away and they come over to me when they see I'm awake.

"Catch," Ben says, throwing me some bottled water. I catch it and open it, downing half of it in one go. I'm thirsty as fuck.

"Okay, so, what shall we do from here?" Meg asks me gently.

"I don't know..." I say quietly.

"Are you willing to come back to the hospital with us? They've said that your Dad is still there and is worried about you. Also, they've said something about your team being there?" Ben informs me and I sit up instantly.

"Dad? Oh... you mean Sam?" The policeman apologises, nodding.

"Okay... I'll come back. I'm really sorry for everything... Shit. They're probably gonna section me now... I'm fucked..." I groan in annoyance at myself.

"Hey, they might not! You've been very co-operative with us and you explained how you didn't mean to run. It was just a heat in the moment thing, right? It's okay to make mistakes. We'll speak to the nurses for you if you want?" I look up, nodding quickly.

"Please! I am honestly so sorry for everything, I really don't want to be sent away. I want to get better, I do, I just struggle a lot in hospital settings," I explain and Meg nods. They say they understand.

"We can head back now if you're ready? It's only a 5 minute drive," I nod and slide over into the back seat on the far right side. I click my tongue and Summer hops into the foot area of the seat beside me. She lays her paws on the ground, resting her head on my feet. Meg shuts the door carefully before getting into the front passenger seat. Ben gets into the drivers seat and starts the engine. I take another swig of water as we begin the short drive back to general hospital. I stare out of the window, half zoned out the whole way back. I only snap back into reality as we pull up right in front of the hospital entrance. I gulp, fear sinking down into my stomach.

"I don't know if I can do this..." I say quietly, panicking. I struggle to breathe.

"It's okay Everleigh. We don't have to go in straight away. Take a breath. Do you smoke?" Ben asks. I'm confused at the random question however I nod as he turns around to look at me.

"I'm guessing you haven't got anything on you right now?" I shake my head.

"That's okay, I have some. You okay with B&H blue superkings?" I nod.

"Okay, we can sit on that bench," he points to a nearby metal bench, "and you can have a cigarette before we go in, we can talk a little too if you want to? As long as you promise not to try and run," I thank him, promising I'll behave, and he gets out of the car, coming to open the door for me as it's kiddy locked. Summer and Meg stay in the car.

"You can pet her if you want," I tell her and she nods happily before hopping out of her seat. Once I step out of the car, she sits down in my seat beside Summer who is happy to be given yet more attention. Me and Ben leave her there, going over to sit on the bench. He opens the cigarette box and points it to me. Once I've taken one out with a shaking hand, he takes one too and lights his before passing me a green clipper to light mine. I return it to him, taking a deep inhale.

"So, tell me about you," he says and I exhale before beginning to speak.

"Okay... So... I'm from Australia originally. Me and my Mum moved here a few years ago. Both my parents are... yeah... so I live with Sam. He was my teacher but he supported me through my mental health issues in school. He became a family friend and took me and my boyfriend in after my mum passed. We live with him, his husband and their daughter. He's great, he's been there for me and Jimmy through everything," Ben nods as we smoke together.