Chapter 60

.

"Ev?" I look over at the door and there stands Sam, Summer wagging her tail beside him and Marie behind.

"Hi," I say quietly. Sam looks sad, I can see it in his eyes. He places some bags and Summer's bed on the other side of the room before taking a seat beside Jimmy. As he does that, I look over at Marie who walks over with a hospital gown in her arms.

"Here, you can go get changed in the bathroom. I'll be back soon with your scan results, okay?" I nod and she leaves. As soon as she's gone, I slide my legs out of bed and dangle my gown over my shoulder

"Do you need any help?" Jimmy asks. I shake my head.

"I'm fine," I say, slowly standing. One arm rests in the sling as the other dangles beside me. My ankle still aches but the pain is bearable. I slowly walk over to the bathroom before shutting the door and sliding the lock over. I instantly slide my way out of my current gown which is difficult with only one semi functioning arm and another that can barely move. Once I'm out, I manage to slip on the fresh gown before turning to the mirror. I know I shouldn't but I need to see myself. I'm hurt by the sight. My hair is a mess, tangled and unbrushed. My face is pain and ugly without makeup, my eyes hollow and grey. I miss my makeup. I hope Sam brought at least some of it in my bag, though I'm not sure how I'll do it... I stare at my tube and the anger bubbles up, quickly heightening. I slowly pull my semi working arm up towards it, taking the end in my fingers and wrapping them around. I want it out. I need it out. I move up to the tape, slowly tearing it off. I grunt slightly at the pain. I want to cry but they'll hear me. Once the first bit of tape is off, I move to the second piece and remove it as well. Just as I finish, there's a knock on the door.

"Ev? You've been in there for a while. What are you doing?" It's Jimmy. I jump in shock before stammering out my reply.

"N..nothing! I'll be out soon. Just... Leave me!" I call out. I hear whispering behind the door.

"Ev, open it up just so I can see you. Otherwise, I'll get the nurse," Sam is the one speaking now.

"No! I'm fine!" I call out, ripping off another piece of tape.

"What's that? What are you doing? Is that.... Oh fuck! Nurse!" I hear Sam shout and instantly lean myself against the door, holding the tube in my hand. I'm about to tug it out when keys rattle in the lock.

"Go away! Go away!" I shout, angry. I attempt to pull however the door bursts open and Marie is in the room, grabbing my arms and holding them down.

"Get off! No!" I yell at her however she doesn't reply, carefully leading me out of the bathroom and back to bed where I finally give up fighting. She sits me back down before letting go of my hands and sitting with me on the bed.

"Come on, Ev. You're doing really well. You've gotten through the first, difficult bit. Let's not ruin it now. Okay?" I sigh at her words.

"I just want to go home," I whimper and she nods.

"I know, and we want you home. But you need to work with us so that we can let you go home, okay? The mental health team won't let you if you keep fighting. Complying is the way to get out of here. Please?" She asks me gently. I nod once, staring down at my lap.

"Tell you what, I've got a doctor coming to discuss your scan results. If you can wait for him to do that, let me put that tape back on and allow us to hook you up for your next feed, I'll see what I can do about letting you go outside for a little bit. It'll have to be in a wheelchair with a nurse nearby and your visitors with you but you'll get at least 15 minutes. How does that sound? Does that sounds like a good deal?" I think as she speaks. I think for a minute longer and then I reply.