Chapter 75

Possible trigger warning for this chapter.

.

There's a knock at the door about 5 minutes later. I'm fully changed now and am sat in bed, my hands around my stomach rocking slowly backwards and forwards.

"Come in," I say quietly. The door opens.

"Ev?" It's Sam. "Can we talk?" I sigh and nod, moving one arm to gesture towards the end of the bed. Sam walks in, closes the door and sits down.

"What happened?" He says calmly. I avoid eye contact.

"I don't know..." I lie. I do know, I just don't want to tell him. I don't want to admit that I fucked everything up once again, just like I always do.

"Yes you do," he replies.

"I ate dinner. It was a lot of calories. And it was scary. But I did it. And then I felt guilty and I didn't know what to do and I didn't want to call someone and admit that I can't do this on my own so.... You know..." Tears fill my eyes and as I try to blink them away, they spill down my cheeks.

"You wouldn't be admitting that you couldn't do it, Ev. You'd be proving that you can. We won't lose trust in you for asking for help. We never would. It's when incidents like this happen that we do lose that trust though, you know? You didn't ruin anything or mess anything up but you slipped. You slipped and fell and now we need to get you back up again. How bad is it?" Fuck, I knew they'd lose trust in me if they found out. I should've locked the damn door before I changed.

"It's fine," I dismiss him.

"No, Ev. How bad is it?" He asks again. I sigh, throwing my duvet off of me and pulling down my joggers to reveal the bandage. I begin to unravel it and gently peel of the gauze which is still wet with blood. When I look up at Sam, I can tell he's really worried.

"Okay. Okay. Shit." He looks stunned. I quickly push the gauze back onto the wound as blood begins to run down my leg again but it doesn't do much as the gauze is soaked through and my hands are already getting bloody. That's when Sam jumps up and speedwalks out of my room. He's back within 30 seconds with the first aid kit in his hands and as he begins to put fresh gauze on the wound, I notice Jimmy at the door. He is frozen with his eyes fixated on my leg.

"Sam, do you need me to call an ambulance?" He says without moving.

"NO! No please don't call an ambulance please!" I begin to sob. "I can't do it again I can't please don't please," As I break down I hear Jack walk into the room.

"Oh crap," he whispers.

"Sam? Ambulance?" Jimmy sounds panicked now. I carry on sobbing and begging them not to.

"Everleigh, listen to me," Sam says, slightly raising his voice. "Will you let me take you to hospital?" I choke on my sobs and look up at him.

"O..okay," I feel defeated but anything is better than an ambulance.

"Right, Jimmy get the wheelchair," Sam calls out, layering more gauze over my leg and putting more pressure on my wound. I wince and cry out as the shooting pain reaches my toes. With his other hand he pulls out a fresh bandage and begins wrapping it around my leg. Once it's all done, he ties it off and picks me up bridal style before placing me into my chair. I manage to slow my crying enough to call for Summer who is by my side within seconds. I grab her leash off of the back of my chair and put it into the bag hanging off of the handles.

"Wait a second, I'll get my shoes and come too," Jimmy says but Sam instantly tells him no as he begins pushing my towards the door.

"Look, she's bleeding pretty badly. I need to get her there as fast as possible. You can follow us up if you want or come later but right now we need to go," As Sam finishes speaking he's already gently bumping me down the steps outside the front door.