Chapter 11

"Ev, we're here," I already knew that. I had known since we had pulled into the bleak grey hospital car park. The whole journey had been silent for us all apart from the occasional sniffle from my mum in the front passenger seat. Jimmy had reached over as soon as the car began moving, taking my shaking hand in his and gently stroking it. I hadn't pulled away. Even Summer had remained still, her beautiful golden head on my lap, those beautiful dark chocolate eyes of hers penetrating into my mind, reading every thought and emotion inside of me, responding with comfort and love. I hadn't moved. I hadn't cried. I had only breathed, staring out of the slightly tinted window and across the landscape where the sun was gradually setting behind the trees. The sky had faded into a blissful pinky blue colour, the blinding golden sun a vibrant orange to contrast, half of its full and round body hidden behind the edge of the horizon, almost taunting the world as if to say 'I'm still here but I could disappear anytime'.

"I'll get the suitcase out if you can sort the chair?" Mr Gray turns to my mum who nods, her eyes red and puffy with huge salty tears still slipping from their miserable and blank holes. I sigh.

"Jimmy, you can just stay with Ev for a minute, yeah?" he nods and the two adults leave us.

"Please try,"

"I will,"

"Promise?" I turn away, forcing back my tears.

"Everleigh, promise?" I sigh.

"I can't promise... I can't promise, ok?" he sighs, reaching his arms out for me. I fall inside of them, curling up on his lap like a child. I still refuse to cry. He whispers to me comfortingly, promising to call me every day and to visit all of the time whilst I just appreciate the fact I have a minute or two left to just feel free and loved. He leans down, kissing my head gently as the car door opens and whispering to me that it's time to head into the hospital. I whimper as he slowly moves me from his arms, tears threatening to fall. No. I will not let them! With one swift movement, I shift my body upright. The transtion happened so quickly i felt my heart rate pick up. Great, give it 10 minutes and I'll be knocked out. With a groan, I move to my chair, almost shutting my black cast in the door as I attempt to shut it once Summer has jumped out. I leave her leash off, in the bag, and instruct her to my side.

"Quick, Sum, turn savage and tear me to pieces, killing me instantly so I don't have to go inside this hell hole," Jimmy hears and bursts out laughing, causing strange looks to be sent our way from the adults who are unpacking my bags from the boot. Mum places my backpack onto my chair handles as Mr Gray picks up Summer's items, balancing the soft fabric bed in his arms as Mum pulls my suitcase beside her, closing the car boot.. Mr gray locks it and Jimmy begins to push me, leading us all towards the towering white building of death. I mean, 'recovery'. I sigh, wishing for this all to be a dream and to appear back home in my bed however no matter how hard I pinch my arm, I don't wake up. It's all real. Damnit. I guess this is what causes my heart to flutter as we get to the door, my stomach to flip as we enter and my eyes to water as we approach the desk. I leave Mum signing me in and begin to play with Summer, performing a few tasks to entertain her and myself. Jimmy stands beside me, gently stroking my hair to try and comfort me whilst Mr Gray looks around anxiously. I know why. I make eye contact with him, offering a reassuring glance and he smiles softly. It's hard being back in a psychiatric ward for us both. At least he's not being locked up again.

"You'll be ok," I nod as he crouches beside me and takes my hand in his comforting grip.

"Will you visit me? Please? Even if it's only, like, once a week or every two weeks or something?" He nods.

"Of course. I am not leaving you. I may be a teacher but I like to think of you as my little buddy too. I see a lot of myself in you, ya know?" I smile, staring into his warm, father like eyes.