Chapter 48

"Ev, love, we're home," Jimmy's voice along with his soft hand shaking my shoulder is what wakes me up from my nap. I sit up, disoriented and confused until I realise I'm in the car.

"Thanks..." I whisper, yawning and slowly stepping out of the car. I stare at the outside of the house for a moment. The last time I saw it, I was dumping my shit at the door and running off. Fucking mania. It looks the same now except the only stuff at the door now is my wheelchair and hospital bags. I look behind me to check for Summer however she's already out of the car and running towards the door with her tail wagging. I sigh before looking up to Jimmy who stands beside me. He stares at me, clearly worried.

"Are you okay?" He says quietly and I stay staring into his beautiful starry eyes for a moment before nodding and gaze back down at the ground. My black Demonias stand out against the pavement. Jimmy's open hand reaches out into my peripheral vision and I take it slowly. Together, we walk inside. As soon as we're in, Jimmy rushes into the bedroom with my bags. I stay standing in the doorway, looking around the familiar hallway. I take it all in again. The familiar grey and black patterned wallpaper, the light wood flooring, the stairs, the photos on the wall, the door towards the kitchen. I take another small step forwards however I pause as the kitchen door opens and I see Jack looking at me, a beaming smile on his face.

"Ev! Come here, lovey!" he calls out to me and I look up at him. His smile slips for a second and I realise I'm not smiling back but for some reason, I can't seem to put one on. It's like I'm not in full control of my body. Everything around me is familiar but also so alien at the same time. I feel numb and fuzzy, sedated and out of it. I remember this feeling and I hate it...

"Ev?" When I slip back into semi reality, I notice Jack is standing in front of me. I jump, startled and he sighs softly.

"It's alright, it's just me. Do you want a hug?" He asks calmly and I stare up at his concerned and caring face. After a moment of looking into his soothing green eyes, I nod and he wraps his arms around me. I rest against his chest, staring at the wall beside me until he pulls away.

"Do you want a drink, Ev?" He asks and I nod again.

"Come into the kitchen, come on let's sit down," I whisper an okay before taking his hand and slowly following him down the hallway, through the doorway and into the kitchen. I sit down at the table and rest my elbows on the smooth wood, my face settling in my palms and my eyes fixed on the circular and lined patterns of the polished wood.

"What would you like to drink?" I hear Jack's voice talking to me however it's distorted and sounds like background noise.

"Uh... I... Uh... I can't!" Within a second, I'm standing up and the chair scrapes back behind me. I can't cope, I don't know what's happening or why I feel like this but I can't and I need to get away.

"Hey... Ev!" I hear Jack call out to me however I'm not listening. I'm quickly walking out of the kitchen and down the hall and my hand is on the front door handle, pulling it open and stepping out into the front garden. I'm at the gate and just about to push it open when strong arms wrap around me and hold me back.

"No..." I whisper however I'm not heard. I'm pulled back towards the door and I don't have the control or power to fight against it. My body is an empty vessel and I'm pulled back inside, the door closing behind us.

"I'll lock it," I hear Jimmy say and Sam's voice thanks him from right behind me. He's the one half pulling half carrying me into the living room where he gently sits me down on the couch. I instantly try to stand again and he sighs, getting back up and sitting me down again and half holding my body so I can't get back up.

"Come on, Ev. Take a minute to breathe. Jack! Can you get her some clonazepam. One pill, yeah?" He calls out towards the kitchen where Jack calls back an okay.