First Day of School

Começar do início

"Is he on the wheelchair?" asked Roxanne, curious. She couldn't help but feel her face get hot when she heard Jasmine's name.

"Mhm." Stacey nodded. "He doesn't look too happy."

Roxanne shifted uncomfortably in her seat. She wanted to get up to see him, but knew it was best to move on with her life without having to spy on Max.

"I think I'm going to go get a head start today for class. I want to stop by the library." She said, getting up. Stacey turned around.

"Aren't you curious at all about Max?" she asked, an eyebrow raised. Roxanne shook her head.

"He's fine." She managed to say, knowing Stacey wanted a response from her.

"If you say so. I honestly don't think it's healthy for both of us to still have feelings for our exes after so much time has passed. And yet here we are. MISERABLE. For what?" Stacey said loudly.

"Stacey-"

"No, Roxanne. Look at us! We're pathetic! And here I was thinking that this wasn't going to happen to us. We'd come back from France and life would continue as it should." Yelled Stacey, closing the window shut. "But none of us have really enjoyed ourselves have we? No. Because we're stuck here, hiding like little rats."

"Okay, that's enough," said Roxanne, surprised Stacey was acting this way. "One we are not rats and two we will get over this. Please. I know I haven't been the best lately and I'm sorry. I should have realized you were going through something as well. Look if you want to tell everyone we live here, I'm all for it okay. Let's make the best of our last year." Pleaded Roxanne. Stacey walked up to her and nodded.

"You promise?" asked Stacey.

"Yes. I promise. Enough is enough. Truce?" Roxanne extended her pinky out. Stacey interlocked her pinky with her and they hugged.

"I'm sorry Roxanne. It's just been one hell of a week. Sneaking around so no one sees us. Talking to nobody." Said Stacey.

"I know what you mean. All we can do is read and watch television." Laughed Roxanne.

"Speaking of television. We should hold a party! We can meet more people that way." Stacey said, excited.

"Haha, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. A party does sound like a good idea. Let's put that on hold. I still need to get to the library." Roxanne said.

"Which book are you looking for?" the librarian asked, flipping through her catalogue.

"Um, Life of the Cell, by Manuel Mangombe. It's a required textbook for cellular biology." Said Roxanne, showing the woman the syllabus.

"Oh, okay. I found it. You're in luck. We have one copy left. Let me get it for you." The short woman stood up and walked toward a locked room. Roxanne held her binder close to her, nervous. She looked around, scared she was going to run into someone she knew from high school.

The librarian returned, holding a heavy book in her hand. "Gosh, this book sure is complicated."

"What do you mean?" asked Roxanne, curious. The librarian wrote something down on a sheet of paper.

"Lot's of seniors get held back because of this course. I don't understand why. Everyone says it's the professor. At first I thought the students were just finding someone to blame, but with all the seniors I've seen come by for this textbook I'm starting to think it's not the student's fault at all." She responded. "Can I have your ID?"