The hospital was packed. Roxanne looked around, and spotted a nurse on her computer, clicking away. She ran up to her, startling the nurse.

            “Can I help you?” the nurse asked, looking at both girls.

            “Yes, can you please help us find a patient?” Roxanne asked, her heart beating fast.

            “Are you related to this patient?” the nurse asked, clicking away at her keyboard again.

            “We’re friends. His name is Maximillian Goof. Please, can you just tell us where he is?” Stacey said, impatiently. The nurse blew a bubble with her gum and resumed typing.

            “Yeah, we have him. He’s on the fourth floor. Room 418.” The nurse said, writing it down on a sticky note. She handed it to Roxanne.

            “Thank you.” Roxanne said, making to leave.

            “Hold on, ladies, you guys need to sign in before I let you anywhere in the hospital. Sign here please.” The nurse handed them a clipboard. They quickly wrote their names down.

            “Thank you.” The girls said in unison.

            “You ready to see him?” Stacey asked as they waited in front of the elevator. Roxanne felt like she was about to throw up.

            “I don’t know.” She responded as the elevator doors opened. “I just need to know if he’s well.”

            Stacey nodded. They boarded the elevator, both of them saying nothing as Roxanne pressed the button to the fourth floor. Her hands had gone cold, a sign she was nervous. She tried to flatten her hair with her hands, seeing her tired reflection in the mirror of the elevator. She had changed so much in three years.

            “You look great, Roxanne.” Stacey said, smiling softly. “I know you’re nervous, but I’m proud of you.”

            Roxanne smiled back at her best friend. The elevator stopped and the doors opened to reveal the empty hallway that was the fourth floor. She looked down the hall and saw no one. Her heart felt as if it were about to burst out of her chest.

            “There it is, room 418.” Stacey pointed out. They walked up to it slowly, Roxanne hesitating to grab the doorknob.

            “Go on,” Stacey urged her with a push. This was serious Déjà vu from their sophomore year.

            She turned the doorknob and opened the door. She held her breath as she stepped into the dimly lit room, the only light coming from a crack in the curtains.

            “You can’t handle your alcohol.” Max said

            “I know, I’m sorry. It won’t happen again. That was stupid of me. I give you my word.”

            Roxanne watched as the short red head girl leaned across the bed and planted a kiss on Max. Roxanne felt short of breath all of a sudden, and pushed her way back out the door, grabbing Stacey’s hand and running down the hall, turning a sharp corner.

            “Roxanne- what?” Stacey said, but Roxanne covered her mouth, urging her to be quiet.

            “HELLO?” came the girl’s voice, her footsteps echoing closer. “Is someone there?”

            “Go out and tell her you had the wrong room.” Roxanne whispered against Stacey’s ear. Stacey’s eyes got large as Roxanne pushed her out, exposing her to Max’s girlfriend.

            “Uh, hi.” Stacey said, quickly glaring at Roxanne.

            “Were you just in our room?” Max’s girlfriend asked. Roxanne couldn’t see her, but she could tell the girl sounded angry.

            “Yeah, about that- I’m sorry, I had the wrong room.” Stacey said nervously.

            “That’s rude of you. Who are you anyway?”

            “That’s none of your business. I said I was sorry right?” Stacey said. Roxanne banged her head against the wall.

            “Uh, yeah it is. Why were you spying on me and my boyfriend?”

            “No one was spying on you and Max.” Stacey said.

            “How do you know his name?” Max’s girlfriend asked.

            “Who doesn’t know Max Goof? I go to this school too.” Stacey said. Roxanne sighed. Good save.

            “True. Look I don’t know who you are. Don’t come running around again or I’ll report you.”

            Stacey glared at her. Roxanne heard Max’s girlfriend’s footsteps walking away.

            “Look what you went and did!” Stacey said angrily, walking up to Roxanne, who had been hiding in the corner. “What happened?”

            “I’m just glad he didn’t see me.” Roxanne said.

            “You’re crazy! You were in his room!” Stacey said, her face red.

            “Yeah and I don’t know what came over me, okay? They were there kissing. What was I supposed to do?”

            Stacey grabbed her hair in frustration. “Ask him if he was okay! That’s what we came to do right?!”

            “Look’s like he’s okay to me.” Roxanne said, rolling her eyes.

            “I’ll never understand you.” Stacey said, walking away.

            “Stacey!” Roxanne pleaded, walking after her. “Look, I’m sorry.”

            Stacey didn’t stop walking. She pushed the button to the elevator hard, taking deep breaths.

            “What you’re doing is childish Roxanne.” Stacey said. “Can’t you just-“

            Max’s girlfriend had appeared behind them, her arms crossed. Roxanne turned around and saw her tapping her foot, waiting for the elevator.

            “Leaving already?” she asked Stacey. She completely ignored her.

            “Yeah, I am.” Stacey said, as the elevator doors opened. Stacey and Max’s girlfriend stepped in. Roxanne stood there, watching them.

            “Aren’t you coming?” Stacey asked her, holding the door open for her. Roxanne shook her head. Stacey smiled and let the doors close, Max’s girlfriend eyeing Roxanne as the doors closed in front of her.

            “Stacey’s right.” Roxanne said to herself as she walked over to room 418. “I am being childish.”

            She took a deep breath and opened the door.