She smiled and planted a kiss on his lips. He smiled back, her green eyes reflecting his grin.

            “Yo, Max- where are the hot babes, dude? I don’t see none.” Bobby said as Max approached him.

            “Bobby, you know you’re not supposed to be drinking.” Max said, leaning against the wall next to him. Bobby lowered his frames and gave Max a look.

            “I asked about the babes dude. No need to lecture me about the kind a beverage a man like myself should be drinkin- OH HEY LADIES.” Bobby handed his beer to Max and walked after some freshman girls who had walked in front of them, giggling when they spotted Max. Max laughed, shaking his head. He set the beer down, and looked outside the window, spying the new house in front of theirs. He was sure he had seen a girl get into the car. Could it be that girls had moved in? Last year it had belonged to group of senior math nerds, who never came out.

            The car was back, the one he had seen not too long ago. Maybe he should welcome them over? If they were girls, Bobby would have loved that. He looked back into his living room, which had turned into a small dance floor. The lights had been dimmed, and people were singing and enjoying themselves. As much as Max liked being the center of attention, he wasn’t on his skateboard, or dancing, so he found himself pretty bored.

            He walked over to the kitchen, where he found Jasmine chatting away with her two friends, a beer in her hand. When she saw him she waved.

            “Sorry, honey I got caught up. I ran into Sarah and Liz, you remember them?” Jasmine said, pointing at the tall blond girl and the short round brunette. They waved, Sarah taking a sip of her beer.

            “Congratulations Max, great news.” She said. “The Gammas finally have another house to compete with.”

            “They’ve been losers since I started here.” Max said “But now, Team99 will always be rivals to the Gammas.”

            Jasmine clapped her hands. “My boyfriend is the best! Aren’t you, darling?”

            Max smiled, rubbing the back of his neck. He had never really talked to Sarah or Liz, and he felt out of place.

            “Well, I came to check up on you. I’m going to go get some fresh air, I’ll be back, okay?” he said, kissing her quickly on the lips. Jasmine nodded.

            “I’ll be here,” she said and he walked out of the back door. He made his way around to the front of the house, where a group of freshmen were rollerblading by, their face in awe when they spotted Max. He waved, and one of them crashed into the other, making them all fall in a big heap. He laughed, but looked away, deciding it was best not to make a scene.

            He crossed the street and slowly opened the gate to the neighbor’s house. He looked over his shoulder, the crowd of people still enjoying themselves on his lawn. It made him happy to see that he finally had made a name for himself, and that people respected him. As he approached the door, he saw rows and rows of tulips and daisies, all lined up neatly in a small garden. That hadn’t been there last year. They were definitely girls.

            He knocked, feeling a little nervous. That was weird. He hadn’t felt nervous in years. It must be the bit of liquor he had had earlier. That’s why I don’t drink.

            He didn’t hear anything, but he spotted someone look from the window quickly and then disappeared. It was too fast to make out who it was.

            “Um, yes?” a voice came from the other side of the door.

            “Uh, yes, hello! I wanted to welcome you into the neighborhood.” He said, the voice catching him off guard. It sounded familiar.

            “Uh, okay- thanks!” the woman’s voice said. She sounded nervous.

            “Would you mind opening the door?” he asked, curiosity getting the better of him.

            “I am busy! Sorry but thank you anyway Max! I have to get going.”

            He heard shuffling and then silence. He turned away from the door, making to leave.

            “Wait,” he said slowly, looking at the door over his shoulder. How did she know who I was?

            He made to knock again, but stopped himself. They were neighbors. They would cross paths eventually.

            “MAX! There you are!” Mocha said, running across the street. He walked up her, and noticed throw up all over her dark clothes.

            “Your partner just blew her chunks all over me and PJ. She’s drunk.” Mocha said, snapping her fingers in his face. Max quickly walked past her and ran back into the house.