A Blast from the Past

Roxanne sat on her bed, looking at old photos of her from high school. She had dated Max, the nerd gone popular boy all through high school, but now she was entering her senior year of college and was transferring to the school where he was.

            “Do you think he’ll remember you?” Stacey asked, coming out of the shower. She had got rid of the braces, and round glasses, instead, settling in for some slick chick frames and pearly white teeth.

            Roxanne shook her head, and sighed. “No, I bet you he has a girlfriend now, with how famous he is being the X-games king.”

            “Do you regret doing the three year program?” Stacey asked, unwrapping her long red hair from her towel.

            Roxanne smiled. She closed the album, the last picture being of her and Max at Prom.

            “No, France was nice. It just feels weird going to a school that we were technically a part of but not really. And for senior year as well.” She threw herself on her bed, closing her eyes. She had never stopped loving Max. Even with the dates she had gone on with while she was away, none of them compared to him.

            “Everything will be okay, Roxanne. If he has a girlfriend-“

            “Which he does-“

            Stacey looked up at her through her messy wet hair. “How do you know?”

            “She was there at the last X-games, some short red head bimbo.” Roxanne said angrily. “Ugh,”

            Stacey went back to combing her hair, tisking. “You know that girl looks strangely like you.”

            “Oh, please.” Roxanne said, rubbing her temples. “She does not.”

            “Oui, Oui, mais elle n’est pas plus belle que toi.” Stacey said.

            “I just want to die.”

            “And to think we moved right in front of their house.” Stacey laughed, walking over to the window, her towel still draped around her. “They have no idea a blast from the past is waiting for them just across the street.”

            “We are going to keep a low profile Stace, okay? Last thing I need is drama.” Roxanne sat up, wanting to get a closer look at the house Max was staying in. In reality she wanted to see him, ask him how he had been doing these last three years. Hug him. Be with him. But she knew that they were what used to be and she didn’t want to get hurt. Seeing him with someone else on tv was bad enough, but in person, she didn’t know if she’d be able to take it.

            A girl doesn’t forget her first love.