(147) Some things you can't save.

Happy valentines day! Here is a completely unrelated piece - its a lab/zombie au type and I loved writing this. Requests are open, feel free to leave them in the comments. Thanks for almost 120K, I still can't fathom those numbers or even express how grateful I am and all I have are my words, but I'll keep sharing them with you all! Much love <3

"Get out of your head." Comes the uttered phrase from his lab partner which rolls smoothly from the mans mouth much like everything else. Pulling Jack from well, exactly that. As he tries to focus on the important task at hand which has been playing in his thoughts for god knows how long. His lab partner always seems to know when hes having one of those days, always says its written across his face and in his baby blues; days where the jobs price hangs over his head like a bounty. Jack thinks having a bounty on his head would be easier than carrying a burden.

"This will work." His partner through it all muses and Jack stands up straight to look in his eyes, almost towering over the man now as he does so. "And if it doesn't?" Mark pauses for moments too long before he responds. "It will." Jack thinks what he means to say is, if it doesn't, more people will die.

;

There was an outbreak. One that once spread could not be controlled although that didn't stop all the scientists and government agents trying too. It was always beyond them, out of there control, never prepared for such events. Strange, the world was seemingly prepared for war (as 'prepared' as you could be) but never for a drug-Apocalypse. It had started with said drugs, cocaine etched with something else, something to give you a buzz unlike any other but that something ate you from the inside. Attaching onto your wildest thoughts and making them seem real -- Everything you've ever wanted playing out in front of you. A sick illusion of non reality that drove people beyond the brinks of insanity making them do things, violent things: due to what they thought they saw, thought was real.

Of course it was addictive. Perhaps it was because once that drug laid off, the high disappearing and the guilt lingering in your system as you realize what is real and what wasn't. A hole in the fabricated reality the drug created for you, chucked into real reality and dealing with the consequences of guilt and blood on your hands. That's how they, whoever they were; got to you, controlled you with a bribe of something more. Something to pull you away from all the awful things you had done whilst the drug played you like a god damn piano, a cruel puppet master pulling the strings of insanity.

Unfortunately, in time of a crisis, the scientists who worked night and day trying to cure other diseases in the world didn't want to put their effort into stopping the fucking apocalypse and deciding to 'test' the drug for themselves and that's when things really went downhill.

Labs all other the world started to fall apart shutting down as the scientists not enjoying the high actually dedicated to there work, choosing to retire before their fellow work employees started to become violent - lord knows its always only a matter of time. The government was even torn to pieces, corrupt and arguments everywhere. Mania broke out with nobody knowing what to do to contain the breakout. Now the world is torn apart, everyone craving whatever they can get their hands on to block out that one high which ruined their lives. True to the phrase one is too many but its never enough.

That one high which damaged them beyond repair, made them damage others and caused them to become even more violent in their daily lives as the craving got too much to bare, violent on the drug - violent off it. There was never a middle ground -- an in between, no.

Jack had seen it with his own eyes, seen someone so desperate for the drug, seen them do horrible things to get their hands on it. Maybe that's what drove him to try and find a cure, try to find a substitute that would satisfy the craving but also help them stay away from the almost deadly drug.