(131) Can you fix the broken?

So, this was meant to be like a villain/hero au, but as it was written I didn't think it'd fit but this is angst! Sorry - Also its sort of set in a post-apocalyptic world; I got so carried away with this but I actually really like it! Also AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, endless screaming due to how close we are to 100K, Got some stuff real special planned. My apologies for the hold up on requests I'm trying my hardest!! Thank you for the patience and continuous support as always so unbelievably grateful for it all!

He needs a cure and won't let anything stand in his way of getting it.

;

Mark sits near the burning barrel at camp (if you could call it that, they're in the open and there's a few sleeping bags on the floor which have numerous holes from mice and god knows what other creatures from the night.) But nevertheless hes staring upon the inferno in front of him like it holds all the answers to his questions. Mark sure wishes that was the case. The situation of how things turned upside down so quickly dawning on him; the flames reflected into his irises much like his thoughts, Mark has been told his eyes hold all his emotions, maybe its because he's seen too much in his time.

He uses the blaze to warm his cold hands and takes a deep breath, eyes flickering around him where people, strangers turn in for the night. They aren't among the infected. Mark is. He thought he could escape it, the virus; even left his home behind to travel to the United Kingdom for a possible cure, alas - it was no use and he just ended up stuck; in an unknown country watching the world turn insane that's what that cure did to you. Mark was among the foolish that believed somebody could cure such illness, clinging on to a last shred of hope.

;

The infection; its like poison - slowly drives you insane until you turn on your own or you turn on yourself. There's no physical pain but that doesn't matter because the mental pain you go through is enough, hes heard the stories, heard the trauma.

Brothers turning on sisters, Mothers turning on kids, Friends turning on friends. Its brutal, makes you out of control, a spiral Mark didn't want to go down. Most try to fight it but getting your hands on a 'cure' is extremely rare and the recovery can't delete your memory. There are somethings you can't un-see, cannot undo.

The infection like most stories you hear, was an experiment gone horribly, horribly wrong.

It began with a scientist in Ireland, a curious mind perhaps too curious. The tale said that he was searching for a cure for cancer after he lost his grandfather to the disease and he thought he found it.

Thought.

So, he started injecting people dealing with cancer with his thought-to-be cure and at first glances, they were normal.

Another glance and you'd see they were not, it wasn't just headaches or a rash they got - no, it was harsh; losing their grip slowly and suddenly it was spreading like a wildfire and the scientist could not control it, why it spread nobody can say for sure but it did and that's how they ended up here, in a world turned upside down.

Some stories say he lost his arm from one of his patients; but nobody knows his whereabouts.

Mark thinks the Irish scientist has got the cure to the illness, after many nights kept awake researching and asking people of relatives lost to the infection; it seemed that way. Mark thinks the scientist is selfish, a coward even; hes ruined so many peoples lives and deserves all he gets.

Hes hurt and wants revenge, that bastard did this to him - to others and he'll get that damned cure, even if he needs to pry it from the scientists' cold, dead, hands.