Couple of the Year

Start from the beginning

     "Ugh, yeah I'm leaving." Max decided. Why did Stacey have to call everyone?

     He knew he was being selfish, but he couldn't help it. He hopped past the car, ignoring Tony's questions.

     "Yo, man why aren't you responding? Is she okay?"

     Max turned to look at him. He hadn't spoken to him since the games. Tony had resigned, and Max hadn't thought much of him since. It didn't help that he was still dating Roxanne.

     "She's good." Max said, bitter. He hated how crippled he felt at that moment. How long was his leg going to be bad for?

    "What's with you huh?" Tony asked him. Max didn't dare turn around. This was not something he was going to talk with Tony about.

    "I'm going to bed boys, I'm kinda tired." Max replied, ignoring Tony all together. He was about to cross the street when Tony stepped in front him, frowning.

    "What's up, Max?" He said. Max looked down at him by an inch, being taller than most. Tony was glaring. Max smirked, trying not to imagine this guy with Roxanne.

    "Get out my way, Tony." Max said.

    "Yo, hold up, hold up!" PJ said, putting a hand on Max's shoulder. "Max, what's going on?"

    Max took a deep breath. Why did Roxanne like this guy?

    "Look, man, I'm sorry if I screwed up your team for you. But I couldn't let you disrespect my girl that way." Tony said. Max hated how calm Tony had gotten. "This is all in the past. Let's move on. I'll come back on the team if you want it."

    "I don't need you back on the team Tony. That's right, Roxanne's your girl. She's up there," Max pointed at her window. He felt his anger getting the best of him. Roxanne was probably waiting for Tony, always Tony. He didn't want to say more. He walked past him, struggling to get to his lawn. His leg was throbbing again. He hadn't noticed that he had put some pressure on it, more to stand above Tony than anything else.

    "Ugh, these guys man." Stacey said, arms crossed. They were looking out they window, watching everything happen. Roxanne was asleep in her bed, unaware of everything. Bradley couldn't help but enjoy it. He liked seeing Max roused up. Some things never change.

    "Just friendly fire." Bradley said.

    "More like ex against current boyfriend." Stacey said.

    "You think Roxanne's over Goof?" Bradley asked, curious. Stacey shook her head.

    "I can't understand her. She won't talk to me. But no, I think she's stayed in love with him since high school." Stacey said. "C'mon, let's let her sleep. Besides, Tony's probably on his way up." Stacey said, leading him out. Bradley looked around the room. Nothing that gave away her love for the Goof kid. No pictures from high school, no letters, nothing. What he did see by the door was Powerline and his face covered with a bunch of heart stickers. Odd, why would she cover his face?

    "Hey, Stacey, Brad." Tony said as they bumped into him at the foot of the stairs. "Where was she? I looked everywhere I could think of."

    "She was at the library." Stacey said. "She's sleeping now, so I don't think she'd want anyone in there."

    Bradley looked at her, feeling her lie. Tony looked surprised as well. "Should I wait then?'

    "No, I think it's best if you come back later. She's really out of it."