Chapter 97

November 2, 2015

    “Oh my gosh, this is so exciting!” I walked through the doors of the dress store. Today I was getting my wedding dress. I had Natalie with me, because I’d be stupid if I didn’t bring her. I also brought Cody and Jake to get a boys opinion. I wouldn’t allow Greyson to come. He can’t see the dress until the day of the wedding in April. My heart was pounding. The building is huge and beautiful. I had us fly down to New York just to go dress shopping. Even as a kid I’d never wanted to go anywhere else but here.

    “Now remember, you have to wear the dress. It can’t wear you.” Natalie continued her tips for picking the perfect dress. I guess you really knew a lot when you’ve been modeling for so long.

    The second the girl who would be showing dresses to us (I believe she said her name was Macy) showed up, Natalie was right next to her asking questions and telling her what she thought would look good on me. After she reassured the girl that she was just here to help, and that Macy could tell her to shut up at any time. Natalie, Jake, and Cody all sat on the couch in front of the “run way” (which was really just a long platform a few inches off the ground in front of a row of mirrors) while I was in the little dressing room with Macy and another girl. First I decided to try one that Natalie suggested. It was a mermaid styled dress. I didn’t say anything, but I’m not sure its right for me. Although it was absolutely breathtaking. I walked out in it, and the second I stepped onto the “runway” Natalie studied my face.

    “Hmm...” She stood up and circled me. “I think I chose the wrong dress type. I mean, you look fantastic but by the look on your face I can tell you don’t like it.”
    “I like it,” I said honestly, “But I don’t know if I like it on me.”

    “I think it’s too tight.” Cody said, Jake agreed with him. I laughed a little. Obviously my brothers didn’t like this. My mind went back to the day at the airport when Cody told me my shirt was too low.

    “Well, what do you have in mind?” Macy asked, smiling.

    “Um.. strapless I guess.” My eyes flickered to a dress displayed in the corner. It was way over my budget though. “Maybe a different style? I don’t really want anything plain.. but I feel like I don’t want it to be completely decked out in jew things either...”

    “I can work with that.” Macy smiled and lead me back into the little room. Natalie gave me a thumbs up. I stood in the room while she left. I stared at myself in the mirror. I can’t believe I’m really here. I laughed slightly as Macy came back into the room.

    “Let’s try these.” She smiled.

    I put the first one she brought back on. It was fairly simple. A white dress with a light purple bow tied around the waist. I decided not to show them and just went right to the next dress. The top was similar to the mermaid one I had tried on, except the bottom to this was was extremely poofy. I walked out to show them.

    “Whatcha think?” I asked.

    Natalie smiled, “I love the top!”

    “I like it better than the other one,” Cody said encouragingly.

    “I feel like the bottom is too big..” I sighed.

    My eyes wandered to the dress in the corner again. This time Natalie noticed. She looked too.

    “Oh my goodness Rachel, that one’s beautiful.”

    “It’s also over my budget..” I added.

    “It can’t hurt to try it on..” Natalie smiled.

    “I’m not sure..”

    “Oh come on. Just go ahead.” Natalie turned to Macy. “Can she try that one?” She asked.

    “Of course! Come on Rachel,”

    Back in that little room, I slid into the dress and stared at myself in the mirror.

    “Wow.” I whispered. The bottom was perfect, the top was beautiful.. I felt like I was in love with it.

    I just stared at my reflection in the mirror. For one of the first times in my life, I allowed myself to realized how beautiful I looked. I turned around to see the back of the dress and looked forward again. I felt tears fill my eyes as I blinked them back.

    Macy was smiling from behind me.

    The dress was a ball gown with a sweatheart neckline, the bottom was beautiful. It didn’t have much too it. Just a few sparkles here and there. I felt like Cinderella or something.

    “Let’s show them.” I smiled.

    We walked out to the runway and as I stepped up and turned to face them, I felt tears forming in my eyes again.

    “You look..” Natalie started with her mouth hanging open.

    “Absolutely stunning.” Cody finished for her. He had a huge grin on his face.

    “Like a princess.” Jake who had been quiet and emotionless the whole time, was now smiling at me.

    I felt a tear slide down my cheek.

    “I think that’s your dress. It has to be.” Natalie said.

    “It’s three thousand dollars over my budget Natalie.” I sighed, turning to leave before I got too attached. Cody stood up, touching my shoulder to stop me. I turned around to face him.

    “I’ll pay the difference.”

    “Cody I can’t let you-”

    “I want to. And I’m going to do it anyway.” He stated.

    “But it’s three thou-”

    “I don’t care, you look beautiful in this dress. I’m going to pay the difference and you’re going to walk down that isle in this dress and make Greyson cry. Ok?” Cody laughed.

    I laughed too and nodded, crying by now. I hugged him as Natalie stood up and squealed.

    “Thank you so much.” I said to Cody, wiping my eyes.

    “You’re welcome,” He smiled at me.

    “How about we give you the full effect?” Macy smiled as the other person who had helped me placed the tiara and vail on my head. I turned to the large mirror on the runway and smiled. I looked like a real bride.

    “Wow.” I said again. Then the reality of everything sunk it. “I’m getting married!” I said loudly, laughing. I felt incredible. Natalie stood up again and hugged me.

    I spun in the dress and let out a breath.

    “This is my dress.” I laughed, smiling at everyone.

    This is what I’ll be wearing when my last name changes. I thought.

    “This is my dress.” I said again quieter, smiling bigger.