Chapter seven

“CODY! What. Happened?” I looked at him, he just shook his head, trying to calm himself. I walked over to a nurse, “Excuse me? Hello!” She couldn’t hear me.

    “WILL SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?”

    I looked around, until I saw him, they were taking Greyson out of the room, his eyes were closed. I stepped forward slowly.

    “Cody?” I turned around. He was standing next to Alli, he finally stopped crying enough to talk. “What. Happened.”

    “I don’t know.” His voice cracked. “He was fine, we were talking about getting out of here and then he just...stopped.”

    “..Stopped what Cody.” My eyes got big.

    He looked at me long and hard. “Breathing.”

    My knees went weak. I had to lean onto the wall stay standing. Everything was moving in slow motion. Greyson being taken away... Alli’s frightened expression, the shock of Cody crying in public like that..I couldn’t handle it.

    I looked down at my ring, then ran into Greyson’s room. There on the table next to the bed..was his.

    Alli came in behind me while I was picking it up. I slid the ring onto the chain I had around my neck. I couldn’t handle this anymore. The guilt...the pain...

    “WHY!” I screamed. “WHY COULDN’T I HAVE BEEN SITTING IN THE PASSENGER SEAT? WHY COULDN’T THAT BE ME NOT HIM?” I ran out of the room.

    Cody following me. I ran outside the building in tears, only to be found by the paparazzi.

    Cameras were shoved in my face, asking questions...so many questions. I got dizzy and sat on the ground where I was. I could hear Cody’s footsteps coming. He leaned next to me.

    “Rachel.” He spoke slowly. “Come back inside, please?” He held out his hand. I took it stood up, but I wasn’t going in with him.

    Cody looked back at me. “Are you coming..?”

    I couldn’t talk.

    “Rachel, its not your fault!” Cody shook his head, the paparazzi cameras were ‘clicking’.

    “YES IT IS CODY! IT ALWAYS IS! WHY DO I SCREW UP SO MUCH!?”

    Cody looked shocked, “Rachel, calm down..”

    “ I CAN’T. THEY TOLD ME HE WAS GETTING BETTER, THEN TWO MINUTES LATER THEY TELL ME HE’S DYING? THEN GUESS WHAT? HE’S ALL BETTER AGAIN! NOW I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON IN THERE! WHAT IF I CAN’T HELP HIM CODY? THEN WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?! HOW CAN I LIVE WITH THAT?!” I was breathing hard, tears were running down my face.

    “We should talk about this somewhere else, Rachel.” Cody was somehow managing to use a calm voice.

    More clicking, more questions, more voices that I didn’t want to answer too. It was driving me crazy. I put a hand up to Greyson’s ring. I was going to let Cody take me back inside when I collapsed.

    I hit the ground, and everything went black. No cameras..no Cody...just the wide stretch of darkness ahead.

    I dreamt that I was swimming. Greyson and I were in the middle of the ocean, when something caught him. Dragging him down..down...down. Deeper and deeper, and there was nothing I could do about it.