Chapter 66

“Rachel you don’t have to open it in front of everyone if you don’t want to.” Greyson sat next to me.

    “No. Its ok.” I took a deep breath and pulled out the piece of paper. I unfolded it and read it out loud.

    “Dear Rachel,

      I wish I could see you now, all grown up. You’re probably gorgeous. I fell as though I have some explaining to do. On why I’m not with you. What you know, isn’t true. I was in a car accident, yes. But thats not the whole story.

    I was with your father, we were on our way to my sisters house.  We were going down the road, when someone went through a red light. They hit us, Rachel. They didn’t even bother to stop and see if we were ok. Your dad was more injured than I was. Although, I wish it would of been the other way around. He’s been in a coma for a month.” I stopped reading. This story was all too familiar. I just shook my head and put my face in my hands. Trying my best not to cry.

    “I stayed with him all that time. Another few weeks went by. The doctors said I had no choice but to let him go. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Losing someone I cared so much about. I’ve tried. I’ve tried being without him. I can’t do it. Your dad, was the nicest man. I hope one day you find someone just like him. “ I smiled and looked at Greyson, then back at the paper. “I wish I was strong enough to live without him, but I am not. I am so sorry Rachel.

    I set the paper down, and picked up the second page. I just stared at the wall.

    “She killed herself for him.” I wiped my eye. “They really loved each other that much...” I half smiled.

    Alli was crying too over in the corner. She smiled at me. Cody was close, but wasn’t. Greyson just seemed to be in shock.

    “Greyson..this could of been our story.” He looked up at me, realizing I was right.

    “It should of been.”

    I wiped my eye again and started reading.

    “You must be wondering where you were all this time. I don’t know if you remember Jacob, but I left you with him. Your brother.” I stopped again. I had a brother?   All this time, I thought I was an only child. “He ran away a lot, said he’s going to the army, like your dad was. He’s 11 now. You’re almost 5. It kills me, hearing you play in the other room, right now at this very second. Watching Spongebob. You don’t know what happened to your dad. Your Aunt will tell you in the morning.  Mostly because I can’t believe it enough to tell you myself. She’ll make up a story so it wont hurt so bad. I’m going to miss you both, so much. Please, forgive me.

    I did not leave you with nothing either. When you turn 18 a bank account that I have set for you will activate. There should be over 10,00 dollars in there. Use it wisely.

    I’ve got to go now. Your dad must be waiting. Stay strong. Chase your dreams. If you want something, don’t stop until you get it. Find someone who is going to treat you right, surround yourself with people who will love you for who you are. Don’t accept any less. Always remember, your dad and I love you. We’ll watch over you. Be careful out there.

    Love,

      Mom.”

    By the time I was done reading, I was already crying harder then I ever have. Greyson pulled me onto his lap, letting me cry into his shoulder.

    “Its all right,” Greyson whispered, “Its ok,” I sat up, and picked up the envelope. Inside there was a few pictures. I looked at the first one, It was obviously me, and who I’m guessing is the brother I didn’t know I had. We were both outside, playing in the sand. I was probably only two.

    “Oh my gosh, Rachel you were so cute!” Alli looked at the picture and laughed. I smiled and pulled out the next one. I had to stop myself from crying again, this one was just my mom and dad, standing next to each other, smiling, holding hands.

    “You look just like her,” Greyson smiled at me.

    “No, she’s too pretty.” I shook my head and smiled at the picture. He kissed my cheek.

    There was another picture, this one was of all of us, probably the most recent one. My dad was holding me, my brother was next to my mom, she had her hand in his shoulder.

    We looked like the perfect family. But someone ruined us. They made it so I couldn’t have my mom with me. I couldn’t have a dad around to run to when I get hurt. And I will always hate whoever did this. Even If I don’t know their name.