Chapter eleven

A few minutes went by, it was silent. The only sound was Greyson’s light, uneven breathing, Natalie’s soft voice on the phone, and the beeping sound that let us know Greyson was still alive.
    “Lisa..You look exhausted,” I looked at her and frowned.
    “I am,” she smiled. “And how many times have I told you to call me Mom? Your family.” She added softly, I smiled at her.
    I was ‘adopted’. Well, I guess thats what you call it. My real parents died when I was four. I live with my aunt, and she doesn’t even care that I’m alive. Greyson’s family has really become mine too.
    We sat there until a nurse came in and asked us to leave, because it was way past visiting hours.
    I didn’t go. Lisa and Scott did, promising to be back, but I refused to leave. I wasn’t going to leave him.
    I had been alone with Greyson and Natalie for ten minutes. I begged her to stay, because I didn’t think I could handle being alone. She agreed, without saying anything. Thats why were friends, one time I called her at 4 in the morning to come pick me up because my Aunt was screaming again.
    “Thanks for staying..” I looked up at her.
    “Your welcome.” She half smiled.
    I closed my eyes. The lights in the room were off. I got up and sat next to Greyson in his bed. I moved the hair out of his face and kissed his cheek.
I couldn’t stand seeing him like this. Natalie was off the phone, I could feel her watching me. Time went by, no one said anything. There was nothing to say.
    It must of been midnight when Natalie fell asleep. I was still laying next to Greyson. Watching him. I had his hand in mine. My head was on his chest. Like It would of been any other night. My other hand was on his ring that was still around my neck. I stated whispering to him. Hoping he could hear me, trying to have the same hope Alli did.
    “Hey GBear.” I smiled. “I miss you,” I closed my eyes. “You know..now would be a good time to wake up, show me your ok.” I opened my eyes, “I’m so sorry I did this to you. I didn’t..I can’t..” I shook my head. “I’m sorry.” I repeated. I cried into him, I tried not to be too loud, so I wouldn’t bother Natalie, but it didn’t work. She woke up and walked over to me, pulling me next to her. She threw her arms around me.
    “Rachel, Greyson..he’s a tough kid, you know this. It wasn’t your fault that guy went through the red light. You know this. Its not your fault, just believe me.” She hugged me and allowed me to cry into her. “Sometimes, things happen, and theres a reason. I believe this will make you and Greyson stronger, when he wakes up, nothing will be able to separate you again.”
    I kept crying, I eventually fell asleep in her arms.