Chapter 80

I only slept for three hours. It was 9:00 when I woke up. I called Cody last night, telling him what happened so he could bring the news to the fans. Then I called Natalie, so she knew what was going on. She said she would leave Boston early, but I wouldn’t let her. Although I was expecting to see her later. She’s stubborn.

    Tanner, Alexa, and Scott had all flown in last night. They were here now. I didn’t know what to think of anything.

----

    “What. Are you doing here.” I said through my teeth. Lauren was standing in the doorway, she had closed the door.

    “I have something I need to explain to you.”

    “Oh. If its the fact that you payed someone to crash into Greyson and I’s car, I already know.”

    “What?” She looked hurt. “No..I mean..yes. But I can explain that too. But I think this may be more important...” She bit her lip, turning on the TV and changing it to E! News.

    “Breaking News! Rumors have started up that teen sensation Greyson Chance’s girlfriend may be pregnant! We have an inside source that has CONFIRMED that these rumors, may just be true! What do you think of this?”  The camera went to a guy standing there.

    “I think this is ridiculous. I mean come on guys, she’s 16, Greyson’s 17. They’re both smarter than that.” 

“But if you look back at the headlines in January, these two aren’t so innocent. Both of them no longer wear those purity rings!”

    “Good point. I guess we’ll have to wait for one of them to speak out about it. Until then, tweet us what YOU think!”

    I turned the TV off. Furious.

    “You. Didn’t.” I glared at her.

    “Listen I’m really sorry and-”

    “DON’T. Start with that I’m sorry crap! What is wrong with you? Do you even realize what this will do to Greyson? His fans will be DEVASTATED.”

    “Is this true or not?” Jake stood up from his seat in the corner of the room, eyes wide. He got here last night, Emily had taken Lisa out to get her mind off things.

    “Well..” I started.

    “Rachel.” He looked shocked. “Did this kid get you pregnant?” He pointed to Greyson, who was still laying there, unconscious.

    “No! I mean, Yes, I am pregnant, but it isn’t his fault!”

    “So its not his?”

    “No, It is, but its not his fault!” I fought back tears, horrified on what Jacob thought of me now. “I’m just as guilty as he is.”

    He didn’t say anything back to me. He just sat back down again and stared at the floor.

    “Why would you do that?” I turned back to Lauren, crying now.

    “I was jealous ok?!”

    “JEALOUS? WHY?!”

    “Because you’ve got everything I’ve ever wanted!”

    “Really? My parents are dead Lauren. They’re not coming back. I grew up with my Aunt who didn’t even care about me! And as half the world knows now, I’m pregnant at SIXTEEN. To make it worse, the baby might not even make it! Have you forgotten that, Lauren?! Half of his fans already HATE  me, and now this is making it worse. We’ve been over this! You don’t want to be me.” I shook my head, crying.

    “But you have Greyson!” She said back. “I don’t care about anything else, don’t you get it?! His fans hate me too! You’re pregnant, oh well! Its GREYSON’S. I’d give anything for that! To be with him! I LOVE him Rachel! Thats why I do all these stupid things!”

    “If you love him like you say you do, let go.”

    “I told you. I can’t.” She started crying too.

    “You have to try.”

    “You love him too. So why don’t you let go? Huh? Why does it always have to be me Rachel?!”

    I didn’t answer her at first. I just stared at her.

    “I don’t know.” I finally said. “I might have to. We both might have to. If he doesn’t get better. You know whats going to happen to him?” She didn’t look up at me. “He’s dying, Lauren. I say its my fault, but it looks like some of the blame goes to you now too.  Why’d you do it.”

    She didn’t answer. She just wiped away her tears and looked at me.

    “I was jealous. I called the guy, and I planned everything out. But I called him a week before the crash and canceled everything. He wasn’t supposed to go through with it, I swear.” She cried harder. I didn’t know what to say to her.

    “How did you think almost killing him would solve anything.”

    “I didn’t. I don’t know.” She took a breath. “I was just heartbroken. I realized how much I missed him, and how much I wanted to hate you for being there for him all those years ago when I wasn’t. When I was the reason he was so low..” She shook her head. “But now, I WANT to see how happy he is. Even if it does mean him being with you. I understand why he’d pick you over me. You’re stunning, funny, incredibly sweet. Everything he deserves.” Her voice trailed off. She sat on the floor against the wall, I sat next to her.

    “He deserves better than me.” I said quietly. “Much, much better.” I shook my head. “And I don’t deserve someone like him, either.”

    “Yes you do.” Lauren whispered, leaning her head on the wall. “We both know you do.....I’m sorry, Rachel. All this is my fault.”

    “No its not. Everyone makes mistakes. I think there’s someone out there who will like you for who you are.”

    “You really think so?”

    “I do.” I smiled at her. There was a moment of silence “This shouldn’t even be our main focus right now.” I sighed and stood up, holding out my hand. She took it and I pulled her up too.

    “I agree. We’ll work everything out when Greyson has a say in this.”

    “Sounds good to me.” I frowned. “As long as he wakes up to be able to do so...”

    I looked at Greyson, who was still laying there. Same pale facial expression.

    As long as he wakes up. I thought again.