Chapter 67

It was around 12:30 in the morning. I was laying in my bunk staring at the pictures. I couldn’t sleep.

    I felt..empty. Alone. I missed my parents more then ever right now. I missed my brother, even if I didn’t remember him. I need to find him I have too. He’s pretty much the only family I’ve got.  I took out my iPod and put the headphones in my ears. I laid there for 10 minutes before putting it away. I was angry, I just cant sleep. But I’m really tired...Really REALLY tired. I needed Greyson.

    I climbed out of the bunk and quietly climbed up to the one where Greyson was. I pushed the curtain aside a little, sure enough he was still awake, listening to his iPod. He turned his head a little and saw me, he half smiled and took his headphones out, pausing whatever he was listening to.

    “Hey Rachel...You ok?” He whispered.

    “I’m lonely.” I frowned.

    “How could you be lonely if you’ve got a little person inside you,” He pointed to my stomach, joking around. I stuck my tongue out at him.

    “Can I lay with you for a while?” I bit my lip.

    “Sure,” Greyson slid as far back as he could. There wasn’t very much space in these bunks, but me and Greyson were small enough to fit. He faced me and kissed my nose.

    “You should be sleeping.” He teased.

    “You should be too.” I smiled.

    “...good point.”

    He stuck one side of his headphones in my ear and the other in his and handed me his iPod.

    “Pick something,”

    I scrolled through, down to the W’s. I played Waiting Outside The Lines, Greyson laughed quietly.

    “I haven’t listened to this in forever.” He ran his hand through his hair. “So whats on your mind Rachel?”

    I sighed and listened to the music playing lightly in the background. “I want to find my brother.”

    “I saw that coming.” He half smiled.

    “Yeah. I want to find him soon...I feel like we’ve got a lot of catching up to do.”

    “14 years of catching up to do.”

    “So he’s...he would be like, 25 right?”

    “I think so,”

    I laid on my back and looked at the ceiling.

    “It kind of makes me mad. That I wasn’t enough to keep her alive. She had me, and my brother..but it wasn’t enough. She needed my dad. I don’t blame her though...I mean, I would of done the same thing if they had to..u-unplug you.” I looked at him.

    “As much as I hate hearing you say that, I would of too. You know, if it was the other way around.” 

     It was quiet for a second. I closed my eyes. “Greyson..promise me something?”

    “What is it?”

    I opened my eyes and turned to face him “..If things get bad, and I don’t make it after the baby is born..stay with it. Don’t leave like my parents did.”

    “Don’t talk like that.”

    “Just promise me.”

    “I wont have to promise you. Because I’m not going to lose you.”

    “Who would you rather have. Me, or the baby.” I looked at him.

    “Why? Rachel..I said it before we can have other babies! Why is this so important to you?”

    I just shook my head and went to get up, Greyson pulled on my arm.

    “Don’t go..sleep in here tonight...please?”

    I half smiled. And put my forehead to his. “Its a good thing you’re cute.” I teased.

     I fell asleep scrolling through his iPod. Last thing I heard was ‘Yesterday’ by the Beatles, and the sound of Greyson’s breathing as he fall asleep next to me.