Chapter 73

It was 2:00 the next day, and We were on our way to the airport. To meet my brother. I was so nervous. I barley slept the night before. What if he doesn’t even remember me? Or what if he doesn’t want to see me at all? Maybe I’m just an awful reminder of the past that he doesn’t need. If He really wanted to see me, he would of a long time ago...right?

    “You’re being silly.” Was what Greyson had said to my thoughts. I just couldn’t help thinking he didn’t want to see me.

    “Rachel..Rachel stop daydreaming, we’re here.” Greyson whispered.

    “And pull your shirt up, its too low.” Cody added, opening his door. This wasn’t the first time he’s said something like this too me, he’d also tell me when my shorts were too short, or when what I was wearing just wasn’t ‘appropriate’. You’d think he actually was my older brother.

    I yawned and looked up, seeing the Portland airport which I had only used once when I was 9 to go to Disney World. We walked through the front doors.

    “...This is it?” Greyson looked amazed.

    “Yeah, nothing special.” I laughed and walked down the ramp, as I turned left I could see a blonde girl sitting on one of the chairs, she was dressed up. Immediately  I wondered if this was my brothers wife, Emily. She must have been, because Lisa waved and the girl stood up.

    “Emily! Its good to meet you!”

    The blonde girl smiled.

    “You must be Lisa?” She asked, shaking her hand.

    “Yes, and this is Rachel,” Lisa motioned for me to come closer. Grabbing Greyson’s hand, I walked up to her.

    Emily just smiled at me, not saying anything at first. I wanted to disappear. It was so awkward, maybe they really didn’t want to see me...

    “I’m Sorry, don’t even know what to say,” She was still smiling, “It is really good to meet you. Jacob talked about you a lot.”

    “He did?” I smiled back at her.

    “Of course!”

    My heart sank. He talked about me, and I didn’t even remember I had a brother. Some sister I am.

    “Why..why didn’t he just try to get ahold of me? Like a phone call or something...” I stopped myself. Greyson squeezed my hand, I sighed and looked up.

    “He tried, a few times actually. But it was hard because everything about you is pretty much private. Which, he understood because of your boyfriend.” She half smiled.

    I really wish she would not have said that. I knew exactly what Greyson was thinking. He was going to think this was his fault too, because thats just what he does. He closed his eyes for a second, before opening them again.

    “And, when he got anywhere close, he would have to leave again...He’s going to be so happy to see you.” She smiled again. “After, we’re going to surprise his- your grandparents. Would you like to come?”

    I really could not breath. I had always thought my grandparents were dead. My aunt never spoke of them, I never saw them..

    “Uh..yes. Please,” I smiled.

    We spent the next hour just catching up. I found out my brother went out for the army the minute he turned 18. Emily says it was hard, because sometimes he wasn’t able to call or anything, but he tried.

    An alarm went off, and Emily picked up her phone, turning it off, letting out a sigh.

    “Any minute now.” She smiled and stood up, we walked over to the tall escalator and just stood there, staring. After two minutes, people started coming down, but Emily showed no interest in them. It was only after everyone was greeted by family members when a tall boy, in a military uniform with a shaved head showed up at the top of the stairs.

    Although it was already moving, he still walked down the escalator, eyes locked on Emily, who was already crying. He dumped his bags on the ground and picked her up, hugging her for what seemed like forever. It made me want to cry watching. It was like I wasn’t even there, just sitting at home watching the videos on youtube. It was beautiful. He kissed her after that, they were both smiling. He stepped back.

    “I’ve almost forgotten how absolutely gorgeous you are,” He smiled, She blushed.

    He looked up, and stared right at me. I thought he would just look away, he didn’t. I tightened my grip on Greyson’s hand.    

    “No....Rachel?”