Chapter 56

Amy's POV

I'm really nervous about tonight. It's Alex's birthday, and we're going out for dinner with his family. It's gunna be my first time meeting his parents, and his brother. I don't know if they'll like me. I mean, who would want their son to be with a woman that's pregnant with another man's child? But then again, they know Alex can't have kids, so it's not like he would have any other option.

But then there's the issue of age. Who knows how Alex's parents will feel about him being with such a younger woman. I'm even younger than his brother. Alex is six years older than his brother, so his brother is six years older than me. It might even be weird if I was with his brother because six years is still a big difference. So twelve years will obviously be even weirder. But hopefully Alex's family is like him, and don't care about the age difference.

Alex hasn't told me much about his family. Besides the story about his dad leaving his mom and her finding his stepdad and having his brother, I don't know anything else about his family. I don't even know anyone's name. So if I don't know anything about his family, I doubt they know very much about me. But I guess that's what this night is all about. For everyone to get to know one another.

"Should we bring wine tonight or something?," I question as I eat lunch with Alex.

"No, we're going to a restaurant, remember?," he says.

"Right. I forgot," I mumble.

He chuckles. "It's cute that you're so nervous."

"Well they have so many reasons to not like me, so I just want to do everything that I can to make a good first impression," I explain.

"If you want to make a good first impression, all you have to do is be you," he tells me. "Just do that, and they'll easily like you."

"And what if they don't?," I question.

"Well I'm a grown man. If my family doesn't like the woman I'm with then that sucks for them because they really can't say or do anything to make me change my mind."

"Ya, I guess you're at a point in your life where your parents can't tell you what to do," I remark.

"Is that your way of saying I'm old?," Alex says with a chuckle.

"No," I exclaim, reaching for his hand. "I just meant that like you're independent, so they can't tell you what to do."

He continues to laugh. "So in other words, I'm old. I mean, I am thirty seven today."

"You may be thirty seven, but you're still one of the hottest guys I've ever seen."

"Oh, am I?," he questions with a smirk.

"Yes. And tonight after dinner, we're gunna go back to your place and I'll show you just how hot I think you are," I tell him, giggling as I give him a kiss.

When I kiss Alex, I hear whispering coming from behind us. I pull away from his lips, and look back to see the nurses staring at us. As I look at them, they all quickly look away, pretending they weren't looking. But I saw them. I always see them. It bothers me so much that they're always whispering about Alex and I. I know a lot of them are jealous because a lot of nurses have the hots for Alex.

"Let it go," Alex tells me, putting his finger under my chin to make me look at him.

"They just annoy me so much. Like just mind your own damn business," I scoff.

"I told you, they just like to gossip to make their time at work more interesting."

"I know it means nothing, but it still bothers me. I know they're saying rude stuff about me," I pout.