Chapter 9

Amy's POV

Tyler has been visiting me at work a lot now whenever he's in town. The only time he wasn't here was when he was on the road for a preseason game. He hasn't visited work for a week because he's been on the road since the season started. They haven't lost a game yet this season, and their first home game is today. Hopefully they can keep the momentum going.

But I know that with Tyler back in Dallas that he's bound to come to the hospital. I feel like he comes here just to spy on me. Although somehow during all his visits, he has not yet met Doctor Matthews. I know that's why he comes down here. To see Alex in person or to see me with Alex, but Tyler hasn't been lucky enough to see me with Alex yet.

It's a little surprising that Tyler hasn't seen me with Alex since I do spend a lot of my day with him working in paeds. I still haven't told Alex about Tyler. Sometimes I want to tell him just to make him stop flirting with me. But at the same time I don't want to hurt his feelings, and lose him as a friend. Plus he never asks me about any guys that I'm with, so I never get the opportunity to tell him about Tyler.

"Amy," I hear Alex yell from down the hall.

I stop walking, and turn around to see Alex running towards me. He has a big smile on his face, and seems really excited about something. When he gets to me, he picks me up into a tight hug and spins me around. I start giggling as he spins me, putting my arms around his shoulders for support.

"I have amazing news," Alex says as he puts me back down.

"What is it?," I ask.

"Well remember how I told you that I'm not the head of the department, but I'm up there?," he questions.

"Ya."

"Well the guy who is the head of the department is retiring, and guess who's taking over?," he says with a bright smile.

"Oh my god, you got promoted?," I almost yell, feeling excited as well.

"Yupp. You're looking at the new head of the paediatrics department."

"Congrats. I'm so happy for you," I say, pulling him in for another quick hug.

"Thank you," he says, squeezing me tighter. "You and I are definitely going out for drinks tonight to celebrate."

"Oh uhh I can't tonight," I tell him.

"Why not?," he asks.

"I have important plans," I say, referring to the Stars home opener. "But we can go tomorrow night. Some of the other doctors and nurses in the department can come along too."

"Well I was thinking it could just be the two of us."

"Well I guess it's your night, so you can invite whoever you want," I say.

"I'm only inviting you because you're the only person I want there," Alex says with a smile.

"Umm I should get back to work," I tell him, lifting up my case of medicine.

"Ya, I should probably go check on my patients too," he says, awkwardly scratching the back of his head. "I'll see you later."

I nod, and turn back around to continue walking down the hall to the patient's room. A very tired mom opens the door, and I give her a warm smile. I go through the normal routine of introducing myself to her. Then I walk into the room to go over the medications with her, and her daughter. When I look at the little girl lying in the bed, I instantly recognize her.

"Hanna?"

"Amy," she shouts with excitement, sitting up in her bed.

"What are you doing here?," I ask, putting my stuff down to give her a hug. "You were at a different hospital before."