Chapter 16

Tyler's POV

"Where is she?," I hear a girl yelling down the hall, which wakes me up from my sleep.

I open my eyes, looking around the room. To my disappointment, it's the hospital room. I was hoping that I would wake up, and this all would've been a dream. But when I look next to me, Amy's bandaged face is there. The monitor is still steadily beeping away. Amy's chest is still rising and falling normally. She's here, but she's not here all at the same time.

"Amy," Drea says, opening the door and walking in. "Oh my god, Amy."

Drea rushes to the side of the bed, placing her hand on Amy's shoulder. She leans down to give Amy a hug as I move off of the bed. Drea begins crying, burying her face into Amy's shoulder. As she cries, Jamie and Dylan walk into the room. Jamie goes to Drea's side, rubbing her back for comfort. Dylan comes to stand next to me, and I look back to see that Jerard isn't in here anymore.

"What happened, Tyler?," Drea asks with anger in her voice as she moves away from Amy's body. "How is it that my best friend is seriously hurt, but all you have is a cut on your head?"

"She took off her seatbelt. I wasn't paying attention to the road, and this drunk driver was on the wrong side of the road. I didn't see him, so Amy took off her seatbelt to grab the steering wheel. She turned the car to save me. And she went right through the windshield," I explain.

"Why the hell weren't you looking?," she exclaims.

"I was looking at Amy," I mumble, looking down at my hands with guilt.

"Well loverboy, your stupid mistake almost cost Amy her life," Drea shouts. "I hope you can live with yourself while knowing that."

"Ok, you need to calm down," Jamie says in a relaxed voice. "It's not all Tyler's fault. The other guy was drunk."

"Well the other guy isn't here for me to yell at, now is he?," she remarks.

"You don't need to yell at Tyler either," Jamie tells her. "Amy is here, and she's fine. She's in an induced coma, which means the doctors have control. I'm sure they know what they're doing. She'll be fine."

"And what if she's not?," Drea questions.

"That still doesn't mean you should yell at Tyler. This is one hundred times worse for him than it is for you. So you need to lay off him, and be supportive for him. He needs our support."

Drea sighs. "I'm sorry for yelling, Tyler."

"It's ok. I deserved it," I say. "I should've been looking at the road."

"I don't blame you," Dylan tells me. "Amy shouldn't have taken off her seatbelt."

"But she was just trying to turn the car to save me," I say with a sigh.

"There's no point in arguing about who did what. All we have to do is wait for Amy to get better," Jamie says.

"I hate seeing her like this," Drea says, grabbing Amy's hand.

As Drea takes Amy's hand, the door to the room opens again. Jerard walks in with two coffees in his hands. He looks over at Drea and Jamie as he walks over to me, handing me one of the coffees. Jerard looks over at Amy, letting out a deep sigh. Then he takes a seat back into the chair that he had slept in.

"Thanks for taking care of Dylan last night," Jerard says to Drea and Jamie.

"It's no problem," Drea says, giving a weak smile.

"If there's anything else that you need from us, we're happy to help," Jamie adds.

"You could talk to coach for me," I say. "Tell him I'm not gunna be playing for a while because of all of this."