Chapter 8

Amy's POV

I hate working the night shift at the hospital. I would prefer to work at the restaurant during a busy lunch or dinner hour. Working the night shift at the hospital is like working in a graveyard. It's quiet, and there's nothing going on. All I'm doing is making the medicine for the people who are coming in the morning to give them out. I'd much rather be sleeping in my bed at home.

I look over at the clock, seeing that I still have a little over an hour left to my shift. I let out an exasperated sigh. It's almost four in the morning. This feels like the longest shift of my life. I don't even have anything to do anymore. The medicine has all been made. So I have an hour to do nothing. I guess I could try to sleep for a bit. Hopefully nobody walks in on me sleeping, that would look bad.

I take a seat in one of the chairs. I lean forward, and place my arms onto the table. Then I rest my head onto my arms, and close my eyes. I quickly start to fall asleep because I'm so tired. I fall in and out of sleep. I sleep for a few seconds, and then jolt awake. This process continues until my body begins to fully relax. As I start to fall into a deep sleep, I hear the door open.

"I'm pretty sure that you're not supposed to be sleeping on the job," a deep voice says, and I recognize it as Doctor Matthews.

"You try working the night shift for an already boring job," I remark, sitting up straight in my seat.

"If it's a boring job, then why are you doing it?," he asks as he walks closer towards me.

"It's what my mom did. And then after she passed away, I decided to do the same thing," I tell him.

Alex sighs. "I'm sorry about your mom."

He reaches over the table, and places his hand on top of mine, which makes me look up at him. He gives me a sympathetic smile, and squeezes my hand. Alex stares directly into my eyes, and I look into his bright blue eyes. They seem to sparkle under the light in the room. Alex keeps his one hand on mine, and lifts his other hand up to brush aside my hair. I notice him glance down at my lips, which makes my heart rate increase from nervousness.

"So what are you doing here?," I ask, getting up from my seat and moving away from him. "Don't you have patients to take care of?"

"Well most of them are sleeping, and just like you, I'm bored, so I thought I'd drop by here and see how you were doing," he explains. "And I was wondering if you maybe wanted to go get breakfast after our shifts are done?"

"Oh uhh I don't know, I was kinda hoping to just go home and sleep," I say.

"C'mon please," he pouts. "It can be a quick breakfast, and it'll be my treat."

"Well I-"

"Pleeeeaaassse," Alex begs, still pouting his lips.

I chuckle. "Fine, I'll go."

"Awesome," he says with a big smile. "I'll come back down here to get you when my shift finishes."

"Ok."

"Alright well, I'm going to go back to my patients now, and make sure that everything is still all good," he tells me. "And I'll let you get back to your nap."

"Don't tell anyone that I was sleeping," I say.

"Don't worry, your secret is safe with me," Alex says, giving me a wink.

He opens the door to leave, and gives a final wave back at me before he walks out. When he's gone, I return back to my seat. I lie my head back down onto the table, but I can't seem to fall back asleep now. So instead I take out my phone, and I go onto my Instagram to pass the time. I spend a lot of time watching funny videos that come up on my explore feed.