Chapter 11

Tyler's POV

"Tyler," Amy yells from downstairs.

I can hear in her voice that something is wrong. Maybe she accidentally cut her finger while cutting the vegetables while cooking. I get up from her bed, leaving her room. I quickly run downstairs, heading into the kitchen. As soon as I walk in, my heart stops. Amy is on the floor, crying as she's hugging her knees.

"Oh my god, what happened?," I say, rushing to Amy's side on the ground.

"Sh-she's gone," Amy sobs.

"Who?," I ask, although I already know the answer.

"Hanna."

"How do you know?," I question as a tear rolls down my cheek.

"Alex called me," she tells me.

"But we just saw her yesterday," I say. "She was fine."

"Alex said that she was having tr-trouble breathing this morning. He said her lungs got f-filled up with fluid. They tried to save her. They were operating, but she was too weak. Something went wrong, and, a-and now she's dead."

Amy wraps her arms around my neck, burying her face into my neck. She grasps onto my shirt as her body shakes from her crying. I hold her close to my body, resting my head against hers. I rub my hand over Amy's back, trying to comfort her the best that I can.

I try my best to stay strong for Amy, so that she has me to lean on for support, but I can't do it. I can't stop my own tears from falling down my cheeks. I can't suppress my emotions this time. My chest is aching from pain at the thought of the loss of Hanna. We knew this moment was coming, but I didn't want to believe that I would ever actually lose that little angel.

I look at the plastic ring on my finger from my wedding with Hanna. The only time I take it off is to play hockey or to shower, otherwise I never take it off. It's my constant reminder of that beautiful little girl. Whenever I look at the ring, I remember that there is a brave girl that is fighting for her life. She inspires me to overcome whatever obstacles that I may face. And the thought of her never fails to put a smile on my face.

I bring my hand up to my lips, kissing the plastic ring as my tears continue to fall. I close my eyes, imaging the adorable sound of Hanna's giggles. Ever after her final diagnosis, Hanna never stopped laughing. We tried our best to make whatever time she had left the best time.

We showered Hanna with love and affection. From our wedding to Amy donating her hair to our constant visits to the hospital, we always made sure to put a smile on Hanna's face. I learned that the easiest way to make Hanna smile was for me to smile at her. She adored my smile, and I loved the happiness I brought her just from the simple act of smiling at her.

I look up at the ceiling, thinking that maybe Hanna is up there. She was an angel on earth, and I have no doubt that she would be an angel in heaven. I smile at the thought of Hanna looking down at us. I give my special lady one final look at my smile from above. Hopefully, I can make her smile one last time.

"W-what are you doing?," Amy asks, looking up at me as I smile at the ceiling.

"I'm showing Hanna my smile one last time," I explain.

"Do you think she'll meet my mom up there?," Amy says, resting her head on my shoulder and looking up as well.

"Ya, I think she might," I say, kissing the side of Amy's head.

She sighs. "Everyone that I know either ends up hurt or dead."

"I'm sure that's not true."

"It sure feels like it is," she says.