Chapter 26

Amy's POV

When I finish my shift at work, I head straight to the hospital. I have another appointment with Doctor Allen today. I've managed to work out a schedule with him to only come in once a week. The exercises aren't helping, so they just seem like a waste of time to me. Doctor Allen was reluctant at first, and tried to persuade me to come in more often. But eventually, he agreed with me that the exercises just aren't helping at all. He's starting to think now that my memory loss may be permanent.

Whenever I go for my appointments, I always take a visit up to paediatrics. I've only had two more visits since my first one when I had first met Doctor Matthews, but I stayed a little longer for these other two visits. I always join Alex on his lunch breaks, and he tells me about his life and career. He said that he's told me these things before, but that he doesn't mind telling me again. Alex is actually really funny and sweet. I forget about our age difference when he's talking to me.

After my appointment with Doctor Allen ends, I take the elevator down to the cafeteria because I usually find Alex in here. But when I walk in, Alex isn't in there. I raise an eyebrow in confusion, and then take an elevator up to the paediatrics floor. I walk around the floor, looking for Doctor Matthews. I don't find him, but I see some kids that I've met before. I talk to some of the kids, and they all seem happy to see me.

"Hey, have you seen Doctor Matthews?," I ask the nurse that's tending to the kid I'm talking to.

"I think he's in his office," she tells me.

"His office?," I question. "I didn't even know he had an office."

She chuckles. "Well the head of the department needs an office."

"Can you show me where his office is?"

"Sure," she says. "Just let me finish up here."

I nod, and let her finish up whatever task she was doing. I talk with the kid for a little bit longer until the nurse finishes up. I give the little boy a hug goodbye, and then I leave the room with the nurse. I follow her down the halls, and she stops in front of a door. The door has a frosted window, and on the window it has Alex's name on it. The nurse leaves me, and I thank her for escorting me to the office.

I knock on the door, and wait for Alex to open it. I can hear Alex talking on the other side of the door. He opens the door, and I can see a cellphone in his hand. He's wearing a suit that is perfectly tailored for his body. It's a nice change from Alex's usual scrubs. Alex smiles at me, and gestures for me to come inside. He walks towards his desk, still talking on his phone. I walk into his office, closing the door behind me. Then I take a seat across from Alex at his desk.

I awkwardly sit in the seat as Alex talks on the phone. I look around Alex's office, looking at the photos he has in here. There are photos with other doctors, there's one from what I'm assuming is his graduation from medical school, there's some with people who might be his family or friends, and there's some of Alex getting different awards. His degrees and awards are hung up in the office as well. As I'm looking at the photos, one catches my eye because I'm in the photo. Alex is in it too, and so is a little girl that I recognize as Hanna.

I get up from my seat, picking up the photo. Alex turns in his chair, and watches me as I pick it up. He gives me a small smile as I look at the photo, and continues with his conversation. I look so happy in the photo as I hug Hanna, and she looks even happier. Alex is leaning down from the other side of Hanna, and he has his perfect smile on his face. I smile at the photo, and put it back down. I return to my seat as Alex is getting off the phone.

"Hey, sorry about that," he tells me.

"It's ok. You're a busy man," I say. "What's with the suit though?"