Chapter 40

Amy's POV

Everything feels so different now. Even though I didn't see grandma everyday before, I can still feel the difference knowing that she's gone. Sometimes I would randomly call grandma just to talk, but I can't do that anymore. If I call her number now, all I will get in response is her answering machine. And sometimes I do call her now just to hear her answering machine. So I can listen to her voice when I'm missing her.

All of us are a wreck. Dad and I took time off from work, but Dylan still goes to school. The house is always quiet even when we're all home. It's hard to do our normal everyday activities. Dad barely eats much anymore. He definitely feels it the most because it was his mother. I've been trying my best to stay as strong as I can for him, but it's hard. Grandma was just so amazing, and to lose someone like her is an unbearable pain.

I've mostly just been staying at home. I only go out when I absolutely need to. I haven't been seeing Tyler as much recently. He spends a lot of time at our place with us, but he's also on the road for hockey. Usually when he's on the road, Tyler is always messaging me or FaceTiming me, but not so much anymore. He's giving us some space to mourn, but he's still trying his best to be there for us. And I'm trying to comfort him too because I know this is a loss for him as well.

We're going to Oklahoma for the weekend. We're having grandma's funeral there. It didn't make much sense to have the funeral in Dallas since majority of people that knew grandma are in Oklahoma. So grandma's body is being flown in to Oklahoma from Columbia which is where she was for her job when she had her heart attack. We're gunna be staying in grandma's house while we're in Oklahoma. It's gunna be weird and emotional to be there without her.

Tyler is coming with us to Oklahoma for the funeral. He tried to offer dad some help with paying for the funeral arrangements, but dad refused. Grandma had a good insurance plan that helped cover almost everything. But Tyler insisted on buying the plane tickets to Oklahoma. He bought four first class tickets for all of us. Normally, dad and I would've fought Tyler on that, but we honestly don't care enough about plane tickets right now to fight about it.

I took the seat next to Tyler on the plane, and Dylan and dad got the two seats behind us. None of us are really saying anything on the plane. Dad is sitting quietly, and Dylan put in headphones to watch tv. I've been trying to fall asleep on the plane since I haven't been getting too much sleep recently, but I can't seem to fall asleep. Growing annoyed with my incapability to fall asleep, I sigh and rest my head on Tyler's shoulder. I close my eyes as Tyler grabs my hand.

"You ok?," he whispers to me.

"I just never wanted to come back to this city after you brought me back here in the summer, and now we're going back for such an awful reason," I say.

"I know that this all must be really hard and stressful for you, and I'm not quite sure how to make you feel better, but just know that you're not going through anything alone. I'm here and so is your family," he tells me.

I sigh. "I'm sorry for being so distant lately."

"It's ok, Amy. I understand that with everything that's going on, focusing on us isn't that important," Tyler says.

"We are still important," I say, moving off of Tyler's shoulder to look into his eyes. "Being with you is still so important to me. I just need time to mourn."

"Take all the time that you need. I don't need to see you or hear from you everyday as long as I know you're taking care of yourself."

"Well I haven't been sleeping much lately, and my eating habits aren't that great," I tell him.

"I know, Dylan told me," Tyler says.

"You've been talking to Dylan?," I question.

"He's been helping me keeps tabs on you, and I've also just been checking up on him to see how he is," he explains.