[Edited] Chapter 1

In the woods of Sardinson, young Earl Felix Williams was on a hunting expedition with his knights. It wasn't merely noble entertainment but his first task as the new earl—to rid the territory of wild beasts and protect the people.

Normally, lords would assign such tasks to their knights, but Felix was different. Until a month ago, he was just a young knight, earning his keep through hunting—a daily training regimen and a source of income.

Felix never imagined inheriting his father's title. As the second son, he knew the earldom belonged to his brother Eric. Their names even reflected their destinies—Eric meaning "leader" and Felix meaning "happy" or "lucky." But fate had other plans.

Upon the sudden deaths of his father and intended heir, Felix's brother Eric, he, the second son, naturally ascended to the earldom. It seemed luck was on his side, but Felix didn't feel fortunate at all.

He held deep affection for his family. His father's foresight ensured Felix wasn't burdened with excessive wealth after his passing. Sent to the house of the empire's chief knight at a young age, Felix worked his way up from a servant boy to a knight under rigorous training. His father's efforts paid off when Felix was officially recognized as a knight by the king.

Despite the estrangement with his brother, they maintained cordial relations. However, everything changed when Eric and their father passed away within days of each other. Felix, bereft of time to mourn, became the new Earl of Williams.

Today marked his first outing since assuming his title. What should have been a routine hunting expedition became a rare respite for Felix.

As hooves thundered through the woods, Felix dismounted to inspect fresh clues hidden in the bushes, guiding their pursuit.

Earlier, a farmer had reported wild boar sightings, notorious for damaging farmlands. Felix led his knights, tracking the beasts' footprints.

"The prints are fresh. They've just passed by," remarked a knight eagerly showcasing his skills.

"There are many—a family of three adults and nine young ones," Felix observed, standing up and dusting off his attire.

The accuracy of the farmer's report became evident. Weakened by a harsh winter, the boar family was a reasonable target. Felix killed one adult boar, while his knights dispatched the others and captured the piglets.

Returning with the spoils, Felix delayed his return, dreading the paperwork awaiting him. The knights followed quietly, respecting his space.

Sardinson, his birthplace, held cherished memories. He recalled moments with his father amidst the woods—the towering oak symbolizing permanence.

As they neared the oak, Felix noticed a cyan streamer fluttering in the breeze. His horse sensed his unease, halting as Felix tightened the reins.

"Is there someone up there?" he pointed, drawing the knights' attention. A keen-eyed knight identified a figure—a young lady—perched in the tree.

Intrigued by the unfamiliar attire and the use of exotic materials like Far Eastern silk, Felix approached cautiously. The girl, startled by his presence, turned to face him, her tearful eyes meeting his.

At that moment, Felix felt captivated by the mystery and elegance of the girl in the tree—a surprising encounter in the heart of Sardinson's woods.