Chapter 17

"She's so cool." Alice said sighing happily as she watched Bella disappear into the forest.

"She is." Rosalie agreed.

"Do you think the Shurlongs were shifters?" Jasper asked as he and the others made their way into the garage. Edward remained in the house but they all knew he was listening.

At Rosalie's annoyed look Esme spoke."We weren't eavesdropping, we just happened to overhear."

"Yeah because we were all being really quiet as to not piss off the tiger again. What did I tell you guys, she's huge right?!" Emmett said excitedly.

"I was skeptical even when you mentioned she took your leg but after seeing her I agree she is large. She is quite an unusual creature. I've tried to research more about albino tigers but it seems that none have ever been documented if any have even existed. There are some Native American legends about it but nothing solid in the way of facts. I really would love to talk to her and maybe do some testing."Carlisle said.

Rosalie face contorted in anger as she step up to Carlisle. "She is not a laboratory rat for you play with. I won't have you treating her like a science experiment! You will leave her alone."

Jasper grabbed Rosalie's arm as he began sending calming emotions her way. "I believe Carlisle was simply voicing his curiosity. He wasn't talking about dissecting your mate. Bella is perfectly safe. So please calm yourself."

"Sorry, the mystery she presents makes me get a little over zealous.I apologize and you are right. Your mate is not something to be studied or experimented on. I will try to reel in my excitement." Carlisle said.

"I can't believe her mother didn't want her. How could a mother not want their child? And to not know who her father was, it must have been so hard on Bella. I'm glad she found Charlie. Hopefully this will be a better situation for her." Esme added breaking some of the tension in the air.

"We still don't have an answer to the original question though. Were the Shurlongs shifters? I mean how cool would it be for a founding father and three American presidents plus the other government officials in the family to be supernaturals. I mean it's lame that they were shifters but Bella's cool so maybe they were cool too? Did she tell you where she got her shifter abilities from? When we were in the forest she mentioned her father didn't know." Emmett asked looking towards Rosalie for the answer.

"Neither her mother or father are shifters and they don't know she's a shifter. She told me that much but when I inquired further she became tight lipped. She is definitely Chief Swan's daughter though. I saw a picture of them side by side and resemblance is there. He is definitely her father. Her mother she didn't talk about at all and this is the first she's said so much about her grandparents. So I don't know where she gets the shifter abilities from." Rosalie was just as curious as the others about Bella.

"It seems every time we learn more about her we come away with more questions than answers. Do we think she is dangerous at all?" Jasper asked. It made him somewhat uncomfortable not being able to read Bella's emotions and knowing how she was feeling in each situation. He never realized just how much he relied on his gift to take the measure of a person.

"No, she's not dangerous. She's just trying to figure out her place in the world like everyone else her age is. She may have had a tougher journey but I don't think that makes her dangerous. If anything she's defensive but with good reason. She didn't attack me because I am a vampire,she attacked me because I scared her. Even when she shifted she didn't make a move to hurt me. She was just protecting herself. Once again I'm sorry about that. I should have waited or at least come out the front door." Alice said apologetically to Rosalie

"When are the rest of us going to get our turn to talk to her? I want to ask her to arm wrestle and play video games and maybe even go hunting." Emmett asked.

"She isn't just here for your entertainment Emmett. She's a person not a play thing." Rosalie was starting to get irritated with her family. "Bella is my mate. She has yet to accept the bond. She probably doesn't even know about it. I haven't even had time with her myself and now you are all trying to take her away from me before I even have a chance to make her mine. I won't have it! Bella is my mate and I won't have any of you interfering in our relationship. Do you understand?!"

"Ok, jeese we get it. Bella can't come out and play because Rosalie won't let her off her leash." Emmett grumbled.

At hearing that Rosalie launched herself at Emmett hitting him in the face with her fist followed by a kick to the stomach. As he bent over she kneed him in the nose feeling satisfied when she heard a loud crunch. She was just about to get her hands around his neck when she felt Jasper grab her from behind with help from Carlisle and pulled her away from Emmett. As he stood up she could see his nose was crooked and his face was covered in cracks.

Esme ran up to Emmett taking his face in her hands. "Emmett why would you say that? You shouldn't provoke someone when they aren't bonded with their mate. They have very little control over themselves and stupid comments like that could get you more than a busted up face. Go to your room and fix this in your bathroom and apologize to your sister before you go."

Emmett looked like he was going to make a comment but stopped when Esme gave him a hard look."I'm sorry Rosalie. I didn't mean to upset you."

Esme made sure Emmett went into the house before speaking."Rosalie darling you need to calm down. Emmett didn't mean anything by it. He is just upset he hasn't gotten a chance to talk to Bella yet. He shouldn't have said that but that doesn't mean you have the right to attack him. He is still your brother and we are a civilized family that doesn't go around punching each other in the face."

Rosalie calmed down after hearing Esme's lecture. She was right. Rosalie knew Emmett was upset he didn't get to spend time with Bella. It was just frustrating that her family was so set on making things more difficult for her to be alone with Bella. Was it to much to ask to get some one on one time with her mate.

Rosalie knew the others couldn't understand what she was feeling. Emmett didn't have a mate. Alice had seen herself with Jasper and had accepted the bond before she even met him. Yes they were apart but Alice knew that Jasper would except her right away. She never had to feel the longing and heart ache that went with not being bonded to Jasper. Jasper knew the moment he met Alice she was his mate and they had been together ever since.

Carlisle might be able to understand a little bit but he had been by Esme's side from the moment she was turned. No, they weren't bonded but he was able to be around her physically whenever he wanted. Rosalie didn't have the luxury of being around Bella like that. Every moment she had with her was precious and she didn't understand why her family wouldn't just leave them be.

"I'm sorry. I just don't have a lot of time with Bella. I know you all would like to get to know her but please just give me a chance to get know my mate and let Bella know me. She's new to this world and we have already caused her so much trouble. I don't want her to feel uncomfortable and have her feel the need to stay away. I need some time. Can you please, please give me that." Rosalie didn't like to beg or plead but when it came to this she knew she would do anything to have them agree.

"I think that is reasonable. I promise we will all stay away from Bella unless she approaches us or you give us permission. The same rules as before. We will abide by them won't we?"Esme looked around to everyone but her eyes lingered on a very unhappy Alice.

Everyone nodded except for Alice who only spoke when Jasper jabbed her with his elbow. "Fine same rules as before. I promise I won't approach her."

"Thank you" Rosalie said and with that they all went their own ways with Rosalie going back to work on Bella's car. She not only wanted it to be perfect so Bella would have a safe car to drive but Rosalie also wanted to prove to her mate that she was capable of taking care of her in every way possibly. Fixing her car was just the first step in showing her.