I'm Sorry

[Warning: This is quite a serious and heavy chapter.

This contains a real- life story of assault that I will be sharing. ]

Please move on to the next chapter if this is uncomfortable for you.

Don't worry- I'll see you in the next chapter!!! <33

I am going to share something personal... I found out today, that my extended family is going to be having a reunion.

Because of that, my mom got into talking about her family.

She's told me about my great grandma's sixteen siblings, and how only two of them are still alive.

She's told me about how some physical issues (like fibromyalgia, autoimmune, just shitty physical problems that I also happen to have) have been experienced by so many in the family.

She's even talked about mental health through genetics. (This isn't something new either).

She mentioned one of her grandma's (my great grandma's) sisters.

One of the family members who is helping with this reunion is the daughter of my great grandma's sister. I believe her name it Maria or Janie? I don't remember.

"Adopted." My mom corrected.

And of course I'm like , "huh? Oh, really?"

Because I hadn't heard much of these people (you gotta imagine how fucking many people are in that family because of the amount of grandma's siblings and their ridiculous age gaps- the oldest and youngest having over twenty years of a gap).

And my mom goes "uh huh."

And she says something that shocks me:

"She's sort of been put into the family. She's not an actual ------ [last name]. She's not married into it either. I found something out though.." she states.

"She's been sort of adopted by one of grandma's older sisters." My mom tells me, continuing on.

"You see, apparently she was raped when she was younger. She couldn't have children because of it and she sort of adopted ----."

And I'm instantly like what the fuck.

"One of the things I said about the mental health portion unfortunately... You could tell... Like, you could tell by just looking at the picture full of people who she was..  It just, it was clear. You know that girl from A League of Their Own? How she's stereotypically 'ugly'?"

My mom was being sensitive and mature about this story, and being polite of course.

And I'm like... Oh.

"She was kind of like that, okay? You could tell by looking at her that..." My mom kinda shrugged and waved her hand in the air.

"Like.. distant and.. yeah. I get it." I replied

Later on (because we were in the car at the time she was telling me this) I ask my mom about the picture bc I thought she was older and there was a pic of her on Facebook, but no.

I ask my mom where I could see the picture that made her look obvious and mom replies

"I'm pretty sure there's one of her- it should be upstairs somewhere with you near the shelf area. The one with all the siblings"

I'm like wait a fucking minute... That picture?

I've seen that picture so many times in my life but I guess in a way.. it was just a picture?