S.S. x student reader - Tea time and your birthday

Severus Snape's POV

I absolutely despise the last class of the day- Ravenclaw and Slytherin. I can tolerate the two houses when they are kept on their own. You would think that their similarities such as intelligence, cleverness, and self-love would bring them together? Wrong.

It is horrendous to say the least- the two houses are constantly trying to prove who's smarter, richer, etc. etc.

But Y/n- a fourth year Slytherin. She is a different story. She sticks to herself, always has her nose in a book, and is respectful. Her favorite things in the world are books, flowers, and potion making.

As much as I hate most people, I actually quite enjoy her company after classes.

Brewing new potions, going into the forest to get ingredients, and discussing random topics over a cup of tea with her brings light into my life.

Y/n's POV

I'm grateful that potions is my last class of the day so I don't have to walk back to the common room just to come back down here again.

By the time all of the students had fled the room, Professor Snape already had the tea poured.

I walk over closer to his desk and sit down in the chair in front of it.

"How has your day been professor?" I ask.

"It has been.. decent. Except for when Malfoy blew up his potion, causing smoke to fill the entire classroom" he sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose.

"How about yours?" He asks.

"It has been alright. It's been a very long week if I'm being honest. I'm glad tomorrow is Friday. I was really looking forward to having our usual tea time. Speaking of which, what our we doing today? Just drinking tea?" I ask

"No, I was hoping that maybe you'd want to come along with me to collect some ingredients in the Forbidden Forest. I know it may sound like an intimidating place, but I won't let anything happen" he says.

"That sounds fun! Let's finish our tea so we can go" I reply.

"When is our next trip to Hogsmeade?" I ask

"I'm not sure exactly when the next trip is due. Why do you ask?" He asks.

"Well I suppose I was just really wanting some candy. I used to have a friend who went here but she moved to Beauxbatons. We'd usually spend time together and get candy to celebrate my birthday. I didn't go on the last trip. It just didn't feel right without her." I sigh.

"Is your birthday soon?" He asks.

"Yes in a few days- this Saturday" I reply.

He nods his head, obviously thinking about something.

I continue to sit in the awkward silence, sipping my tea until he eventually speaks.

"I apologize but I just remembered that I have something to catch up on, we will not be able to go to the forest." He says

"Oh okay" I shrug.

We spend the rest of the time chatting and finishing our tea and then I leave.

Saturday

I wake up on Saturday, remembering it is my birthday. I sit up and look around the dorm, realizing that I must have slept in because nobody is in here.

*Tap tap tap*

I look over at the window and see a black owl pecking on the glass, wanting to be let in.

I walk over and open the window, allowing the bird to drop a letter on the window sill.

I give it a scratch on it's wings and gives a satisfied hoot- then flies away.

I look at the black envelope, wondering if it was for me or not. I sure as hell knew it wasn't from my dead beat mother so obviously I'm confused.

I flip open the letter and it has my name on it so I open it.

Ms. Y/n,

Go to the potions classroom half past 10:00.

- Professor Snape

Huh. That's weird.. I've never received anything like this before.

I get dressed and walk through the Slytherin common room and walk down the hall.

I knock on the door, then wait for him to open it.

"Come in" I hear.

I open the door and see Professor Snape sitting at his desk, writing something down. I walk over to his desk and take a seat, hoping I'm not in trouble.

"Uh, good morning.. Why did you invite me here?" I ask cautiously.

He opens a drawer and grabs something out of it, then stands up and walks up to my seat.

"Here." He simply states, leaning against his desk.

I look down at the object he gave me. It's a rectangle box covered in black wrapping paper with a green bow on top. It's a little messy looking, but I can tell he put effort into it.

I look up at him, not knowing what to say, so I begin to slowly unwrap it.

When I finish unwrapping it, inside of the box was a book titled 'Tips, Tricks, and Recipes For Potion Brewing"

Next to the book in the box is a green and black scarf with a little rose design on the end of it.

My eyes start to water with tears of happiness.

"T-Thank you. You have no idea what this means to me. I've n-never gotten something like this before." I say with gratitude, looking up at him.

He obviously wasn't expecting my reaction. But then I noticed something. He's smiling. Not a smirk- an actual smile.

I set the box on his desk and quickly stand up. Without thinking, I run over and wrap my arms around his waist, hugging him

He immediately freezes for a second, before he hugs me back.

"Thank so much." I whisper, still hugging him.

"Of course Y/n, you're my favorite student." He says, but then whispers something else so quietly that I thought I imagined it-

"You're my favorite friend as well."