S.S x student reader (platonic)

***Please keep in mind that this is actually the first fic I've ever wrote so it isn't perfect! <3

Summary: Severus Snape just cannot figure Y/n Y/l/n out. He tends to put the fear into nearly everyone of his students- except her. He makes sarcastic remarks constantly and makes assumptions about her life. It all changes after a certain event.

Warning: Abuse, panic attack, swearing

You are fearless. Nothing can scare you. Even THE Draco Malfoy knows better than to mess with you. You aren't mean, you just don't stand bullshit. You are a Ravenclaw but most people believe that you should've been a Slytherin. Hermione tells people that she isn't jealous of your grades but she obviously is.

People stare at me as I walk down the hall. At this point it doesn't even phase me. Even with all of the students talking about me behind my back, I'm still liked by my teachers because of my grades. But for the most part, I just keep to myself. I'm mostly known thanks to being part of a rich, pure blood family. People automatically assume that I am a Deatheater but I'm not. I think that's where part of the fear comes from.

I enter the classroom and sit down. After a few moments go by Professor Snape enters the classroom dramatically- with the door hitting the wall, making some of the students jump. His entrance is quite lame if I'm being honest. I would've said that aloud but I don't in front of teachers. I know better than that.

Snape stands at the front of the room as I slowly pull up my sleeves to look down at my arm. Scabs and scars litter my forearm. Some are older and some are from the more recent beatings, reminding me that I will never truly be free from my family. Everybody assumes my life is great because of the money and fame. News Flash; it's not! Nobody knows what it's like to be hit because I couldn't walk in a straight with heels on or having crucio casted upon me because I chose the wrong fork. I really enjoy my Lady's Etiquette sessions with my mother (not).

I slowly trace the outlines of the various marks. I can feel my eyes start to water.

Stop it.

Don't think about it.

You are NOT about to cry in front of everyone, ESPECIALLY in Snape's class-

"Ms. Y/l/n! Is staring into your lap more entertaining than my lessons? Oh, I do apologize for boring you." he spits.

I look up, realizing the whole class is staring at me. My face burns red with embarrassment. Draco is currently snickering with his goons. I give him a glare that pretty much says "shut the hell up". He obviously gets the message and stops.

I didn't even realize it, but Snape had already made his way over from his desk. I look up and he pounds his fists on the desk, making me flinch.

Normally his hurtful words and looming figure doesn't bother me- but yesterday's "lesson" during winter break really fucked me up.

"I asked you a question, Ms. Y/l/n and I expect you to answer it. Do you think it's okay to wander off into dreamland while your classmates have to learn or do you think you're a special exception because of your family?"

I look up at him. We make eye contact and he probably sees my eyes starting to water. My body starts to tremble. I think it's a panic attack.

"Don't you dare make assumptions about my life. You have no idea what I put up with at home." I whisper sharply.

He gives me a strange look. Anger because of my attitude, then confusion, then... Pity? No, something else.

"Class dismissed. Everybody. Out." his voice grows slightly louder with each word, but not quite to the point where he's yelling. By this point, tears are running down my cheeks like a waterfall. I bite down on my lip to keep the sobs in and stare into my lap.