Pass the Salt?

Everything was genuinely going well- the first dinner between your father and your boyfriend. It took a lot of puppy eyes and begging after your father basically forbade you from dating a "damned Weasley".

Fred was on your right, your dad on your left in a circular table in your dad's private quarters.

"So, how was your day?" You clear the silence, awkwardly coughing.

Your dad looks up from his plate and stabs a fork into his steak, likely imagining it was your boyfriend's head. They hadn't exchanged any words except for "Sir." and "Weasley.".

"It was fine." Is all he replies in his low voice.

You internally cringe and look to your boyfriend who was eating slowly, not lifting his eyes from his plate until he felt your gaze.

"You?" You politely repeat to your boyfriend.

The ginger looks up and flashes a smile, meeting your pleading eyes.

"It was pretty well, actually.. I got an outstanding in Transfiguration.. and in charms." He grins, trying to hide his proud accomplishment.

Your father, to your surprise, comments;

"Yes, I've heard you're.. doing quite... well.." pause "Anyway, what are your plans for the future?"

Was that praise.. or just acknowledgment? Fred briefly flickered his eyes to you, then back to your dad.

-

A good five minutes went by and surprisingly your father didn't seem to hate him any more than he usually does. If anything, not to jinx it, but it was going quite well...

You jinxed it.

Clearing your throat, you speak up,

"Daddy, could you please pass the salt?"

"Sure." " 'Course." They simultaneously reply, both reaching for the salt.

Oh shit.

Fred's eyes widen, looking at your father.

Your father's fork hits his plate with a harsh *clank*.

You look to your boyfriend then to your dad, watching as he grips onto the ebony table, gritting out through his teeth:

"I'll give you a two second headstart. I hope your cardio is as good as your transfiguration skills."