10 years

"Are you alright, Y/n?" My best friend, Hermione asks.

It is Friday night and we are currently sat in the great hall for dinner.

I keep chewing, not having heard her question.

"Y/n?" She calls out.

"Hm?" I ask, lifting my head up.

"I was asking if you were alright.. You seem a bit out of it.." She says, her eyes observing me concerned.

"Oh yeah, I've just been thinking.." I trail of sighing.

I set my fork down and place my hands into my lap, looking to the side.

"It uh.. It's tomorrow.." I mumble.

"T-Tomorrow?.." Hermione trails off, confused.

"Ohh, that's right, I'm sorry Y/n." She says, frowning.

"I can't believe it's been ten years." I whisper to myself, setting my hands on the table.

She reached over and takes my hand, rubbing the back of my knuckles.

"Yeah, the ten year mark is the hardest." She says, frowning

It had been ten years since my mom died of cancer, leaving me to grow up with my aunt. It was true, ten year marks are one of the hardest.

I was only six when she passed, but some days it feels like it was only yesterday. Only yesterday that she chased me through a field of flowers, swooping me up and then attacking me with tickles while the sun beats down on us.

Then she got sick. Her hair started falling out, she threw up often, she was always tired. It's hard knowing that the last memories of her weren't the best..  I carry a picture of her in my pocket everywhere I go, reminding me of the good memories.

I remember when I dropped that polaroid in the hall- it was Professor Snape who picked it up and returned it to me.

Even though he didn't ask, I told him who she was. That was the first time that we had a true conversation that wasn't little jeers during class or just pointers on how to brew a potion. I didn't share everything about my life, as I was very closed off. Even though I was a Gryffindor, he subtly made sure to say something nice to me. It wasn't that he was playing the pity card with the whole "You should be nice to her because her mom had a tragic death and she is merely an orphan", no.

He is still my favorite teacher. Thanks to his unbelievable observance skills, earlier today he picked up that something was wrong. He asked me about it after class and I just told him that it was fine..

"I think you should ask Dumbledore if you can visit tomorrow." Hermione suggests, breaking my thoughts.

I sigh and shrug.

"Everyone has lost somebody.. You really think he'll let me go?" I ask, unsure.

"Well, of course everyone's lost somebody... But, it's the tenth year anniversary and I have a feeling that he'll be understanding. It won't hurt to try and ask." She says.

"I suppose you're right..." I say, finishing my food.

When we finish eating, Hermione goes straight back to the dorms and I begin the treacherous journey to the Headmaster's office. Why must his office be so far away and up so many stairs?..

When I reach the door, I knock and wait for him to reply.

The door opens on it's own and reveals the old wizard sat at his desk.

"Hello, Miss Y/n. It is nice to see you. What can I do for you, dear?" The Headmaster asks with a polite smile.

I walk over to his desk and take a seat, fiddling with the sleeve of my robe.