Neighbors!!!

"What the fuck?" I harshly mutter to myself, looking at the window.

In every goddamn year that I have lived in this house, I have never, not once, known that my POTIONS PROFESSOR LIVES ACROSS THE STREET FROM ME!!!!

I clench the mug so tight, it nearly breaks.

My dad stirs in his recliner, heavily asleep with a copy of the Daily Prophet clutched in his hand and a Coors Lite in the other.

I clamp a hand over my mouth and watch him for a moment. My biggest fear is waking him up after he gets home from work. He's not very happy during those times, so to speak.. I have a cigarette burn on my left forearm as evidence. Sometimes when I close my eyes and breathe in deeply, I can still smell the stench of my own burning flesh.

Once I've confirmed that he is still asleep, I look back out the window. As shitty as this neighborhood is, the sunsets are something that I always look forward to each night. Especially right now- winter break was pretty nice at times. Watching the sun set as snow flakes fall was a sight to give you chills.

Sitting on the roof with a book and watching the sunset go down was my choice of comfort.

I notice that my professor had gone inside of his house. How stupid am I to have not noticed that he lived here? Maybe one of the (many) weird thoughts I had as a kid had actually come true- where teaches lived in a secret part of the school. Growing up, you realized how silly that sounded. Teachers living on the other side of that secret door in a muggle elementary school?

Who the hell knows. I probably know more about God than I do my potions professor.

I grew up in America- specifically the Midwest. Before my mom died of cancer,  her last wish was to move to the UK. Why the hell the UK? I don't know.

She could've chosen fucking Australia or Paris and instead she chose this shit hole called Spinner's End...

I ended up being enrolled at Hogwarts at age eleven after I got my letter. I can't believe that was five years ago...

~

It is now summer break and I sit on the steps of my house. I don't know what to do with myself during this time of year. I have no friends around that are my age. The only thing I have in mind is staying out of my dad's way. Life is so much easier at Hogwarts. He's been getting worse and worse after my mom died three years ago. It's been a literal hell these past two weeks.

"Bye, Papa." I look up at him as he walks past me out of the house.

He doesn't even so much as glance at me, only walking over to the car. I clench my jaw and sigh. I suppose it could be worse.

He pulls out of the crappy and bumpy driveway, the car making noises of protest.

When the car passes the house and he zooms out of distance, I allow my eyes to wander. I then see a face in the window across the street. I silently curse myself, now embarrassed that my teacher just saw that exchange. But as I said before, it could be worse. Now that I think about it, the houses aren't too far apart from one another. He's likely heard glass breaking and my father shouting. But to be fair, those sounds weren't uncommon in this neighborhood. Everyone has had some sort of altercation.

When I look back up again, I notice that the face from the window has left, only a dark curtain in view. I pick at the grass as a poor attempt to occupy myself.

Maybe I could go into town? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to look for a job.

I stand up and sigh, straightening out my crumpled Tshirt.