Waking Nightmares

The color had drained completely from your face when you had entered the room. You were sure that your stomach had sunken to the very cellars of Hogwarts.

In the center of the room, stands a dark wardrobe shaking aggressively. It was rattling so hard it looked as if a first year was trying out the wingardium leviosa spell for the first time.

But it isn't merely a wardrobe..

It's a boggart.

You exhale deeply and clutch your book bag tighter, praying for there to be some sort of horrendous thunderstorm that suddenly destroys the classroom.

"Good morning, class!" Professor Lupin chirps, walking into the room with a small smile on his face.

The last of the students file into the room just as class begins to start, whispers filling the air. Some completely unaware of what they were looking at and others hurriedly muttering about what their boggart could possibly be.

"Intriguing, isn't it?" Professor Lupin stands next to the wardrobe, looking at it before turning his gaze to the students.

"Would anyone like to venture
a guess..." he starts scanning the room "...as to what is inside?

"That's a boggart, that is." A voice in the small crowd replies.

"Very good, Mr. Thomas."

"Now, can anybody tell me
what a boggart looks like?" The professor asks, continuing on.

"No one knows." A feminine voice blurts. You internally groan at the Granger girl.

"When did she get here?" A voice mutters.

"Boggarts are shape-shifters." Granger continues on, ignoring the previous comment "They take the shape of whatever a person fears the most.

That's what makes them so..."

"So terrifying, yes, yes..

Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a boggart."

"Let's practice it now. Without wands, please."

Oh Godric, please tell me we aren't actually going to face our boggarts?

"After me. Riddikulus!" The professor loudly states.

"Riddikulus!" You and other voices shout.

"Very good..A little louder and very clear.
Listen;.."

"Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!" Everyone shouts in unison.

"This class is ridiculous.." Draco mutters into your ear.

You huff out a quiet chuckle, smirking at his comment.

You tune out the rest of the professor's spiel, staring intently at the box. You were a Slytherin and Slytherins should be brave and ambitious enough to pursue this mystery... However, something just didn't feel right.

~

You couldn't help but visibly frown at Neville's boggart. Obviously Professor Snape isn't the most friendly teacher, but the fact that he was a student's boggart is quite.. There's not even a word for it.

Deep down, you felt a bit insulted- though you'd never admit it..

That professor was the only man that made you feel safe. Despite his cold exterior, he is a down-to-earth person that will let you talk to him about your troubles.