I Shall Say Goodnight

~•••~

Severus looks at the child he has raised. Through their y/c eyes he could see memory after memory, like layers of paint peeling back.

Something inside Severus was desperately trying to claw it's way out, screaming in despair. The man had no choice but to swallow that fear, acting as though everything was fine.

He stares at his child from afar, too much of a coward to face them. But he couldn't peel his eyes away from them, too busy on trying to imprint every detail of them into his mind. He did this for as long as he possibly could, soaking up every last minute. He knew his fate was inevitable, despite not knowing exactly what was to come.

Severus flinches as he feels a hand on his shoulder, his ebony hair swishing to the side as he whips around to face the unknown person.

Lucius.

"He wants to see you." Lucius hoarsely mutters, squeezing the upper arm of his friend.

Severus narrows his eyes in suspicion, realizing that his friend was intentionally not meeting his gaze.

That's because he knows. 

Lucius numbly drops his hand off of Severus' black sleeve as he eyes the ground.

"The boathouse." Whispers Lucius, craning his neck to the side, as though he were unwillingly gesturing to the place his friend was soon to be at.

The blonde haired man almost wanted to murmur a 'Good luck', but his gesture would have fallen on deaf ears. There is no luck in such a perilous time- even for the Deatheaters and ones on the latter side. It's just tattered faith and half-assed hope

"Severus." Lucius mutters with a nod of his head, slowly stepping back.

It was a not so secret translation for Goodbye.

Severus numbly tilts his chin up, closing his eyes, followed by an exhalation through his nostrils.

"Lucius." replies the ebony haired man.  

Severus watches as his long-time acquaintance hesitantly sulks away, until  eventually out of sight.

Severus clutches his fists at his sides, before turning around the direction he was previously watching his child from.

They were gone and Severus lowly swears under his breath, looking at the cobble ground.

He had his chance, although it brief. Instead of losing his temper, he closes his eyes and envisions his child behind his eyelids.

~•••~

Flashback, 1982

"Goddamn you, Albus!" Severus lowly hisses, clenching his fists at his sides. He was so angry, he couldn't even bring himself to raise his voice into a yell.

"Severus." The Headmaster sighs, looking at the younger man somewhat pitifully.

"How dare you ask me of this. I trusted you to protect the-"