The Gum Incident (Student R)

I walk down the dungeons on a cold Saturday evening. It was so chilly, my breath was nearly visible. Why the hell wasn't there any insulation? Or heat charms?

I sigh and fix the collar of my jacket as I trudge down the poorly lit corridor.

Before I get the chance to say the password to the common room's painting, I hear loud shuffling and cluttering noises.

I turn around to where the sound is coming from.. Only to see that it came from across the hall.

Across the hall as in, Professor Snape's office.

Another crash and a string of muffled curses is heard. I bite my lip, trying to decide if I should investigate the sound or enter the common room..

With a sigh, I make my way over towards the hall and knock on the door.

A moment passes by and once again, nothing is heard. I clench my fists, trying to not give into the curious side of me.

With a shape exhale, I slowly open the door.

When I open the door, I see my professor hunched over his desk, his palms rubbing into his eyes frustratedly.

"P-Professor?" I call out.

The man whips his head up and looks at me.

"Miss Y/l/n! What are you doing in my office unannounced?? Did your mother never teach you to knock?" He snarls.

My heart stops for a moment and I hesitate. Taking a deep breath, I finish my thought.

"Professor, I-I did knock.. I just, I heard a loud crash and other noises and I got worried." I rush out.

I notice that he is keeping his head tilted at an angle and I take a step to the left.

He finally looks up at me with a glare.

Oh sweet Merlin.

I bring my hand up to my mouth to stifle my giggles.

In his dark ebony hair, a bright pink piece of chewing gum is stuck to some strands.

"Stop laughing!" He bellows out.

I blink away the tears, taking my hand away from my mouth. I bite down on my bottom lip and my nostrils flare, trying to keep my laughter at bay.

I point to my own hair, saying,
"P-Professor.. You, you have a little someth-"

"Don't be daft! I know what happened." He groans, less angry and more embarrassed.

He rests his elbows on his desk, hiding his face in his calloused hands as he deeply sighs.

After a brief moment, he drops his arms with a thud and looks up at me.

"It was the Weasley twins and their damned contraptions. I open up a potion of mine and this chewing gum jumped out. I've tried removing it with magic but it isn't working." He sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"So you've tried magic.." I trail off, walking into the room until I'm in front of his desk.

"Did I stutter?" He quips, raising an eyebrow at me.

I roll my eyes with a huff.

"If you'd let me finish.. You've tried magic.. But have you tried getting it out the old fashioned way? Muggle style?" I ask, tilting my head.

He furrows his eyebrows in confusion and looks off to the side in thought. After a brief moment, his eyes slightly widen and they flicker up to me.

"You don't mean.." He trails off, scoffing.